Was russel Fremason?

by happy man 21 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

avengers
    Is that tape a sample of the kind of crapola you use as evidence?

You would make a good scientologist.
    A terrible defense attorney...but a good scientologist

Life sucks...get a helmet
    [email protected]
  • RR
    RR

Avenger, this is not russell's grave, it's a Watchtower monument, put there a few years AFTER his death. It was not Russell's wish tio have such a marker. It was erected by Judge Rutherford in 1919.

Russell's grave is a few feet beyond tha pyramid monument.

As to him being a freemason, let's let Russell answer that:

"My understanding is, that all of these are bundles, and each bundle is getting tighter. Some of you know a great deal more about Freemasonry than I do, and I am not here to say anything against it, because I do not know anything to say, and I do not know as I would say it if I did know it. The Lord did not send me to preach against Masonry or Odd Fellowship, nor against Presbyterianism or Methodism. Our opportunity is to tell the truth, to preach the true gospel of Christ, and the Lord says that this message is to have its effects on the different hearts. Now, if you find yourself in any kind of a bundle, you know that is not the program so far as the wheat is concerned. The wheat is to be gathered into the garner; it is not to be put into bundles in the present life. The wheat is to be free. If you find yourself in any kind of a bundle, better get out of the bundle." — 1908 Convention Report or What Pastor Russell said page 318)
    "This brings before us the whole question of orders, societies, etc., and what privileges the New Creation has in connection with such organizations. Is it right for them to be members of these societies? We answer that while Church associations are purely religious, and labor and beneficial organizations in general are purely secular, there are still other orders which combine the religious and the secular features. As we understand the matter, for instance, the Free Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, etc., perform certain rites and ceremonies of a religious kind... We admonish the New Creation to have nothing whatever to do with any of these semi-religious societies, clubs, orders, churches; but to "Come out from amongst them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing." (2 Cor. 6:17)" — The New Creation (1904) pages 580-581
    "We note also that the Order of Free Masons, if judged by its past history, has some secret object or scheme, more than fraternity and financial aid in time of sickness or death. And, so far as we can judge, there is a certain amount of worship or mummery connected with the rites of this order and some others, which the members do not comprehend, but which, in many cases, serves to satisfy the cravings of the natural mind for worship, and thus hinders it from seeking the worship of God in spirit and in truth—through Christ, the only appointed Mediator and Grand Master. In proportion as such societies consume valuable time in foolish, senseless rites and ceremonies, and in substituting the worship of their officers, and the use of words and symbols which have no meaning to them, for the worship of God, in his appointed way—through Christ, and according to knowledge and the spirit of a sound mind—in that proportion these societies are grievous evils, regardless of the financial gains or losses connected with membership in them." — Zion's Watch Tower, June, 1895, page 143

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Life sucks...get a helmet
    [email protected]
  • larc
    larc

RR,

Thank you for the direct quotes from Russell. They make it very clear, what his position was on this subject.

RR, you may want to store those quotes in your computer. I am sure that in a month or two, someone will bring this up again.

• RR
    RR

Thanks Larc, yes I do keep a database of quotes for such an occassion. Saves me the time of having to search for them from scratch.

• gypsyqueen
    gypsyqueen

Always was an interesting topic. Thanks all for the info. Question: Isn't the Crown and Cross a Mason or Freemason symbol? If yes, why is it on the cover of the Watchtower in it's early days?

• RR
    RR

No, it's not. The Cross and Crown is as old as the hills. It eventually became associated with Masons, but today many denominations use the Cross and Crown symbol. You can do a serach on the net for "Cross and Crown" you'd be surprised what you'd find.

• avengers
    avengers

So when Russell says: Ï'm a Free Mason", it means he's not.

What a bunch of garbage al together.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

now that my head is spinning from "scrolling" side to side.....

my only question, which I've had for quite a while, is

if, like my JW family claim, the "truth" is not a "new" religion, that Jesus was a witness of Jehovah's, then

why was Russell, as Happy man's article states,
    baptized in another religion?

• chasson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit