Are you interested in dropping your southern accent?

by jam 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• jam
    jam

"These ignoramuses called me a Yankee". LOL

And we love you too....

• jam
    jam

Stillin: That was the beauty in the southern speaking,

"Colorful euphemisms". Right to the point and you

know it's meaning.

We know what "get er done " means..LOL

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Deers nut'n wrong with dis ere ehksint"

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I'm still happy with my southern hemisphere accent thank you actually it's a cross between new zealand and australian

• under the radar
    under the radar

I travel frequently for my work, mostly to Asia and Europe. The most common question I get is, "Where are you from?" I don't sweat it. I get that all the time even here in NH, where I live now. I have a deep southern accent (raised in Georgia and spent many years in Tennessee), so I usually say something silly like, "South Boston" and then mimic a Kennedy accent with something like, "I pahked the cah ond played bahl." People usually laugh and then I get even better customer service. I get a lot of mileage out of my southern accent. My sweetheart loves it.

• Mum
    Mum

This is a thread I have to chime in on. I am originally from the heart of Appalachia, Tennessee on the Kentucky and Virginia border. My grandparents spoke a strong Appalachian dialect, and I lived with the for the first 10 years of my life. Then, when I was about to go into 6th grade, I had to go live with my parents in Ohio. It was torture. I was already shy and withdrawn, but being around all of those northern city folks made me want to be swallowed up by the ground. I had spent my life among simple people with simple ways.

We lived in what were considered slums then or now. My teacher had an attitude toward me because I don't think she believed I was really at the level I tested at. My sister felt the same way, as she had gone through the first three years of school with me in Tennessee and Kentucky, attending 2-room and 4-room schools with kids from families like ours - uneducated and backward.

Eventually, I learned to speak with a midwestern accent and still do to this day. When I went back home, however, I lapsed back into my old drawl so my friends wouldn't think I felt superior because I was "talkin' proper."

Appalachian Americans ("hillbillies") speak much more like colonial Americans. My linguistics professor in college said that it was "the purest form of the English language." A paper sack was a "poke," and sitting on my grandma's lap was being "nussed." I do not regret having the hillbilly experience in my early life. It helped me understand where food comes from, appreciate what animals do for us all, and understand how relatively wealthy I have become. Our ancestors in the hills had to be resourceful and clever to survive. I am honored to call them my kin.

• jam
    jam

Coal Miner's Daughter "Lorretta Lynn", a good movie. An inside look at

the rich culture....

• Mikado
    Mikado

accents are a funny thing. I grew up in an English family in Australia, I have lost count of the amount of times I get asked what part of England I am from. my family all spoke dialect, and when I went home I remembered it instantly....

you guys all keep your accents, it's what make you all special....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Are you interested in dropping your southern accent?

If you mean; Am I interested in not sounding like a Londoner?

Gawdon Bennet, not on your nelly gav'ner.

• donny
    donny

Well that was pert near the most intristin thang I has heards in a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit