100 Years Ago Today: World War I Began - July, 28, 1914

by Oubliette 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

100 years since World War I

07/28/14 07:44 AM By Timothy Noah and Johnny Simon

"One hundred years ago today, Emperor Franz Josef of Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia in retaliation for the assassination one month earlier of his heir apparent, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, by a Serbian pan-Slavic nationalist. What might otherwise have remained a regional conflict between the dying Hapsburg Empire and one of its former holdings instead became, through a tangle of alliances and a global power imbalance, two world wars that began in 1914 and ended in 1945, with a 21-year intermission for the Jazz Age and the Great Depression."

[Click here to read more ...]

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Archduke of Austria Franz Ferdinand, center right, and his wife Sophie, center left, walk to their car in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914. This photo was taken minutes before the assassination of the Archduke and his wife, an event which set off a chain reaction of events and would eventually lead to World War I.

• sir82
    sir82

That crafty Satan!

Starting WWI then, he was able to distract humanity from the impending enthronement of Jesus Christ in October 1914.

Or so the more bug-eyed delusional JWs will tell you.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This can't be right, I thought the war started in October to align with pushing satan to the vicinity of the earth.

• Londo111
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I dont think the war broke out until August 5th

• sir82
    sir82

I dont think the war broke out until August 5th

• July 28, 1914. Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia.
    • August 1, 1914. Germany Declares War on Russia.
    • August 3, 1914. Germany declares war on France.
    • August 4, 1914. Britain declares war on Germany.
    • August 6, 1914. Austria declares war on Russia.
  • steve2
    steve2

America wasn't sucked into the war until 2 years later, right?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

• April 6, 1917 - The United States declares war on Germany.

World War 1 Timeline

Timeline of World War 1 From 1914 to 1919

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1910s/a/World-War-1-Timeline.htm

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

That can't be right.

On October 2, 1914, Jesus took the throne. Shortly thereafter, a war in heaven broke out wherein Satan and his demons were cast from the heavens. Satan then became so enraged that he began to wreak havoc upon the earth. One of the first things he did was to start the Great War (WWI). So WWI must have started a few days after October 2, 1914. For more accurate chronology, you should consult Watchtower Bible & Tract Society publications.

• kaik
    kaik

I was born not too far from chateau which was owned by Sophie (or in Czech called Žofie Chotkova). I met also couple very old people who used to work there as servants. War between Serbia and A-U was predicted for at least five years. War in the Balkans was raging for several years and teared up Ottoman holding there among several states. It was a matter of time before the war spill into larger neighbors like AU. Russian invasion of A-U is sometimes hard to detect, because of the confusion on the Eastern front. Some sources from AU newspapers indicates that border shelling from Russia into Austrian held Galicia started in July 30 where Russia even did not bothered to declare a war on the Austrian monarchy. AU was competely unprepared on the war with Russia.

However, it is foolish to consider that WWI was break event in the European politics. III. French Republic survived the Great War until 1940. Descendants of the A-U monarchy had continued much of the political system until WWII and byond. Political parties, judicial and business laws, and taxes survived the WWI pretty much everwhere there. The criminal law remained in the effect there till 1950. Yugoslavia and Romania continued with their established monarchies until communist takeover in the 1940's. As much WT claims that 1914 was mother of all wars, it was far from reality. This war was quickly forgotten with the outbreak of WWII and is considered as a Forgotten War.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit