Crazy things JW inlaws said

by Bye bye birdie 10 Replies latest social family

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

Here is one... My MIL told me according to a CO talk that she heard Jehovah could strike you dead when he is executing judgement based on the clothing you are wearing. She was mad at the moment of skirts that were above the knee on me and her friend.

i said to her two things:

1) I hope I am not in the tub during this predicament.

2) I thought Jehovah read hearts?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

As I recall (but it could have changed in the past 15 years...), Jehovah is not the one who does the execution. The angels do that job. And since angels cannot read hearts (only Jehovah can), the angels rely more on appearances (ie: clothing, speach, activities, location, associations, etc).

UUGGHH! I can't tell you how this one little concept affected my life for 25-30 years.

What a waste.

-Aude. (Dare to Know; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

My mother in law just told me that going to "congregation picnics" was something that god requires of us as a part of our service. I told her not to go beyond the things written.

The back story is that some kid in our congregation graduated and some other family is moving, so there was a combination graduation and going away party. I've never spoken to anyone involved and don't feel any obligation to buy this kid a gift just because he happens to be a member of the same cult, and live in the general vicinity.

The greed of these people that invite everyone in the congregation to their wedding/graduation/housewarming/etc just to get more gifts is sickening. Why should I feel obligated to buy you something when you've never talked to me, except to invite me to an event just to get an extra gift?

Sorry for the hijack/rant. That really pissed me off, though (and seemed semi-related)

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

one eyed joe :

this site is created just for such venting. I think you and I have the same Inlaws .....lol

aude:

are you kidding me...this was something she Really heard in a talk? I thought she pulled it from her rear. Yikes!

• millie210
    millie210

So let me get this straight.....

The God who created people to be naked, now cares about an inch or two of hemline?

• steve2
    steve2

"Going away parties" ? "Housewarming parties?" Where in the Bible does it say first century Christians had these sorts of observances? It's all part of the great JW "pick and choose" approach to their religion - the very thing they accuse Christendom of doing.

• blondie
    blondie

(Acts 20:36-38) 36 And when he had said these things, he kneeled down with all of them and prayed. 37 Indeed, quite a bit of weeping broke out among them all, and they fell upon Paul’s neck and tenderly kissed him, 38 because they were especially pained at the word he had spoken that they were going to behold his face no more. So they proceeded to conduct him to the boat.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

Isaiah 20:3

Then the LORD said, "My servant Isaiah has been walking around NAKED and barefoot for the last three years.

• ducatijoe
    ducatijoe

Well if I can be struck dead for wearing the wrong cloths would one of you sent me a text when it the end comes

so I can be sure to undress first!

Makes sence.... we will all need to be naked like Adam and Eve!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Steve2, don't you know that all these parties are acceptable in the sight of the gb-god BECAUSE they are not held on "church" grounds. Those wicked, evil baptists have the nerve to build (gasp) picnic tables on their properties for Sunday meals!!! Can you believe it??? jdubs are much better than that, they force each other to host their stoopid "gatherings" (and don't dare call them parties!).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit