The only place where JWs are explicitly mentioned in the Bible?!

by Pinku 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pinku
    Pinku

“If they say to you, “He is in the desert,” do not go out there;

If they say, “he is in the inner rooms,” do not believe it”. (Mathew 24:26)

If someone is in the desert or in the inner rooms, what is being highlighted is that person’s presence is not readily visible. Because Jesus contrasts this aspect with his visibility in the very next verse: “For just as the lightning comes from the East, and is SEEN as far as the West, so will be the coming (“presence,” NW) of the Son of Man be.” (Mathew 24:27 compare 2Thess 2:1, 2)

Interestingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses are known for their proclamation that Jesus’s presence is invisible!

Ironically, this is the very thing that the Bible asks people ‘not to believe.’

Yet, what to say about the millions who believe them!!!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think they were mentioned in ezekiel

• Island Man
    Island Man

That's not the only place. The organization is also mentioned at Luke 21:8:

" And he said, “See that you are not led astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and, ‘The time is at hand!’ Do not go after them."

The JW leadership comes in Jesus name by claiming to be appointed by christ as the faithful and discreet slave. They have proclaimed "the time is at hand" by their history of falsely predicting the end of the system of things. C.T. Russel even published a volume of Studies in the Scriptures that contained false predictions, entitled "The Time Is At Hand"!!

• blondie
    blondie

Isaiah 43:10-12

Not once in the NT although some jws point to Rev. 1:5 which doesn't mention jws at all.

(Revelation 1:4, 5) . . ., 5 and from Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,” “The firstborn from the dead,” and “The Ruler of the kings of the earth.”. . .

In the NT the only witnesses mentioned are "witnesses of Jesus"

(Isaiah 43:10-12) 10 “YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.” 12 “I myself have told forth and have saved and have caused [it] to be heard, when there was among YOU no strange [god]. So YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “and I am God.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i was thinking of Ezekiel 24:24

• smiddy
    smiddy

(Isaiah 43:10-12)

However nowhere after that statement is made are the jews identified by the name jehovahs witnesses, and jesus certainly never instructed his disciples to adopt that name, yet by" divine providence they were to be called christians ".

smiddy

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

only in isaiah ? i think, is it mentioned in the new world translation that 'you are witnesses to me!

but all other bibles say the lord.

people after tha t time period, would not be witnesses of the God of Israel, jesus said you are witnesses of me to his apostles

yet still, WE are not witneses of him, his apostles were. what are we really witnesses to?

SO simply , we are Christains. we are not to have a name to identify ourselves with any thing else accept the name to which all knees will bend, christ jesus he who dies for us and is deserving of the honor given to him By his heavenly father.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
  • givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Witnesses of Jesus were what the apostles were.

The name Jesus is a transliteration of the Hebrew "Joshua" (which is why you find Him occasionally referred to as Yeshua by people of Jewish background who have become Christians). The Hebrew word Joshua means 'Jehovah is salvation', hence the meaning of Jesus name savior. Matthew 1:21 (King James Version) 21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. The meaning of His name is also clear from the purpose for which He came, the purpose of which He was Himself aware and which He carried out on the cross of Calvary and sealed with the glorious resurrection. Jesus is the anglicised form of Jeshua, 'The Lord is salvation.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

“If they say to you, “He is in the desert,” do not go out there;

If they say, “he is in the inner rooms,” do not believe it”. (Mathew 24:26)

If someone is in the desert or in the inner rooms, what is being highlighted is that person’s presence is not readily visible. Because Jesus contrasts this aspect with his visibility in the very next verse: “For just as the lightning comes from the East, and is SEEN as far as the West, so will be the coming (“presence,” NW) of the Son of Man be.” (Mathew 24:27 compare 2Thess 2:1, 2)

Interestingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses are known for their proclamation that Jesus’s presence is invisible!

When i left the Witnesses this was one of the things i discussed with the elders. Lightning is something you see and is very bright.

This is why I posted Ezekiel 24:24.

'Ezekiel has become a sign for you. Just as he has done, you will do. When it happens, you will have to know that I am the Sovereign Lord Jehovah.’ (NWT http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwt/E/2013/26/24)

'Since Ezekiel himself was a "portent," or "sign" (AV) of someone to come, and since he was not a type or prophetic figure of Jesus Christ, whom did he prophet Ezekiel typify in carrying out his divine commision?'

(page 56/57 The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah - How? WTB&TS of Pennsylvania 1971)

and further on in the book

The Modern-Day "Ezekiel" (heading on page 62) Wife's note at the side of page Remnant since 1918)

I'm not sure if this has been changed since then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit