Another religion celebrates 100 years

by A.proclaimer 12 Replies latest jw friends

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

This is from the Iglesia Ni Cristo, another JW-like religion. They even boast about growing numbers and having missionaries in other countries. The only thing is they made it to the Yahoo! front page

https://www.yahoo.com/news/powerful-philippine-christian-church-celebrates-100-years-025554026.html

Convention at a Stadium too?

• steve2
    steve2

Two points:

1) That religion has some roots in Russell's Bible Students - so the broad similarities with the JWs are not coincidental and

2) The Watchtower was incorporated in 1876 - so it will be "celebrating" its 140th birthday in 1916 - this is therefore not "another" religion celebrating 100 years.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

This curious Filipino JW simile religion boast a BIGGER MEMBERSHIP than JW's!

• blondie
    blondie

I thought the WTS/PA was incorporated in 1884? PA came before NY.

*** w50 7/15 p. 214 par. 9 Organized Testimony to the New World ***

To keep pace with Jehovah’s blessing upon the work Brother Russell organized the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, at Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1881 (The Watchtower, April, 1881), and three years later, in 1884, this was incorporated under the laws of the State of Pennsylvania.

• barry
    barry

Didn't Jesus inspect the religions on earth in 1914 to see which one is faithfull. Maybe the Eglisha ni Christo is the only true one .

• Londo111
    Londo111

It sounds like a dangerous cult. Except zero help for the government, since politicians are afraid to defy it.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

hmm, so if jesus is the way and the truth and the life, follow him, look to him, believe in him, if we look to any earthly org for 'enlightenment',

wer'e in direct opposition to what jesus says for us to do, right?

he IS the truth no church can claim to have truth or they would be claiming to in fact BE Christ.

• Giordano
    Giordano

A technical point Russell did not form a religion but a publishing house. From that start he did form the International Bible Students which at that time was not a formal religion but a Christian bible study group. In 1931 Rutherford and company, now separated from the IBS, changed their name to Jehovah's Witness's and at that point in time it became an official religion. It would appear that we have to wait until 2031 to mark it's 100 year anniversary. Yes? No?

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

100 years in the sense that they're celebrating 100 years of something important to them, JWs celebrate 100 years since 1914. Just to clear up what I meant to say, though I can see how my words were read differently.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Blondie. I had assumed that the 1876 date pertained to the setting up of the WB&TS as an incorporated society - and am surprised a different date has been advanced in the organization's literature. I wonder if the 1876 date was more to do with the licensing of the masthead magazine Zion's Watch Tower & Herald of Christ's Presence (later changed to The Watchtower)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit