An Invitation and a Question

by Shepherd Book 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

First:

If you live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, come to the UU Church in Bloomington on Sunday, July 27th. I'm giving a presentation there about JWs and about leaving, shunning, things like that. One hour, 10:30, free on-site childcare available.

Here's a link with more info. And here's a link to the church's site.

Second:

Right before my presentation, during the opening announcements, they pass a bowl for donations to a local charity. During that, they play music, and I've been asked to provide some JW music to play during that time. So...whattya think? What JW music do you think I should bring in order to introduce the group to lovely Watchtower tunes and give them a flavor of the awesomeness that are Kingdom Melodies?

• outforever
    outforever

To tell you the honest truth - I would not want to sit there and listen to any "tunes" from the song book - it would be evil!!! but in saying that "Keep your eyes on the prize was my dad's favourite" and when I was still in I always had a little cry (thank goodness he did not get babtized before he died) (he really was holding back from that religion) but still would not like to hear any of that music again.

But in keeping with your theme - then it has to be done.

All the best.

• zeb
    zeb

speak up and let us know how your occasion wnet.

• ducatijoe
    ducatijoe

Think the WBTS monitors this site. Playing copy write music in a public place without concent may be illegal.

Just a thought.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

How about the song where we molest bees??

DD

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

outforever-
    Yeah, I had a similar thought. Do I really want to hear that music? Especially three minutes of it?

Maybe I'll just suggest they play Van Morrison's "Kingdom Hall."

Thanks for the heads-up about copyright. The church does not charge admission, and the music isn't being played for any monetary gain but for educational use. I'll look into it.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Good for you Shepherd Book. Both my and wife and I have given talks at the UU church in Jamestown about the JW cult. The congregation received it very favorable. Most did not know some of the very dangerous things that take place with the Wt. also did not know how they feel about them as being god fodder unless they become JW. They all thought they was just very friendly people trying to sell a maz. Now they know better and many now know how to engage them in a conversation that may leave doubts with them. I have no idea what song to play from the old Wt. song book. Pick something that you feel would fit your talk from there song book. They have many good songs. Best of luck with you and your talk. Still Totally ADD

• Freedom77
    Freedom77

I get the impression since I was in the borg (1970-77) there have been a couple of new songbooks. There were a couple in the old hot pink songbook that I liked, one about the Shulamite maiden (whoever she was) and another about "how pleasant to see brothers all dwell in unity." But the thought of singing those now nauseates me. The following would be highly appropriate to represent the borg, though:

Eve of Destruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYNWYaS3bI

Bad Moon Rising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6iRNVwslM4

The In Crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOWO--z1S8A

I'm in with the In Crowd, I know what the In Crowd knows

Anytime of the year, dontcha hear, dressin' fine, makin' time

We breeze up and down the street, we get respect from the people we meet . . .

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

DD - you got it wrong, the bees were already molested, you're just "beating them off"

If you really want to give a proper introduction to the cult, find one of the videos of a bunch of kids singing "listen, obey and be blessed." That should give them a pretty accurate representation of what the WTS is all about.

• Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit