An idiot abroad. Kind of funny and sad....

by DATA-DOG 14 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I just stated watching this on Netflix. I don't know what to make of it. It seems somewhat scripted. I have a hard time believing that Karl is for real. Also, I can see him becoming a JW and really rising through the ranks. Seriously, it was one of my first thoughts. He seems pretty ignorant, but not stupid. He fears the unknown and just wants his little world.

DD

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Karl is weird, and actually make a LOT of sense if you look at it from an introverted perspective. He's just an introvert that never bothered to read up on a lot of things, that's a generally decent guy, that lucked into being relatively famous.

If you watch his fourth series without Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, his insights on humanity and relationships actually make a ton of sense.

The Ricky Gervais radio show is where all of this breeds from. Look up Ricky Gervais show on youtube for animated versions of a lot of it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Interesting. I don't think he is stupid by any means. He is just sheltered and thinking things through. We would all sound pretty bizarre if our musings were televised. Lord knows I'm bat-shit crazy.

DD

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

He visits another country and calls the people there 'foreigners'..

Aptly titled series then.

• Mikado
    Mikado

I have watched the first three series, he's very funny. often a lot of what he says is spot on...

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

'An idiot abroad' aired in the UK sometime ago.

Karl is very amusing & as Mikado mentions his observations are often spot on.

• happy@last
    happy@last

It is very funny. Karl started off as a radio producer and worked on the Ricky Gervais radio show, it was only when he was invited to give his opinion on issues they were talking about on air that his perspective on life became known. I am sure he plays on it now, but the radio shows were even more hilarious if you ever get to hear them. He is definitely a glass half empty person though.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Brilliant program, Karl knows exactly the personal he's portraying, he's not daft, he's simply saying what we all think at times but wouldn't dare externalise!

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have only watched adverts.....I think he's an idiot. Kate xx

• Simon
    Simon

He's funny in "Derek" - well worth watching (Netflix series with Ricky Gervais).

Funny, sad, sometimes cringe-worthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit