Been over this one before? By the voice behind him, John of Patmos directed to write...

by kepler 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kepler
    kepler

Someone in my family many years back was pursued very intensely by JWs in her neighborhood to become one of the pack. Two or three JWs would meet with her each week and they would discuss the Bible, with which she was well versed, and also some of their supplementary commentary material of a high ratio of drag to lift. She became more and more enthusiastic about the Bible, but did notice significant discrepancies between the text and the study material. She didn't take the invitation to join.

When the delegation warned her that she would be lost unless she joined the group, she retorted that they had no such authority to condemn, but this was a matter which God decided. ... And so it went, but the meetings broke off forever on this question which she posed about Revelations.

In chapter 1, verse 11, when John heard the voice behind like a trumpet, saying, "Write down in a book all that you see, and send it to the seven churches of [ Asia Minor] Ephesus, Smyrna, Peregamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea..."

Her question was, "Which of those churches do you represent?"

Comments? Or. perhaps as so many other topics do, has this one come up before?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Putting aside the fact that the bible is bunk, why would this question stump them? I don't get it. It could mean something like:

"Write down in a book all that you see, and send it to the seven congregations of [Pennsylvania] Eaton, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Thornbury, Sadsbury, Philadelphia, and Lancaster..."

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

The witness always claimed to be Laodicea church.

I had a good laugh on that one!

Smart mother.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I can say i have never heard of someone placing the jws congregations in the same light as those biblical congregations.

i think the subject rarely came up in my lifetime. although i do recall studying in a book stud y something about it but I was young and probably fell asleep.

however from a simple observation id say theses 7 congregations were simply literal congregations, and

the revlelation ch 2 commentary at bible gateway is always a place to start. I do think though that there were real angels that were members of those and some of the people looked up to them.

from my own personal research, Im gleaning that revelation has been completed and has nothing to do with us today. you might find it interesting and enjoyable to read the book misquoting jesus - the story behind who changed the bible and why. by bart erhman.

as its is, im glad revelation is all symbolic, I have enough stress in my life right now trying to undo the damage to my brain from this

organization Ive been part of for 45 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit