Bacteria That Eats Electrons

by metatron 14 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.impactlab.net/2014/07/18/electric-life-forms-that-live-on-pure-energy-are-unlike-any-other-life-on-earth/

The amazing diversity and adaptive nature of life. Who knows what's out there? We're just finding out what lives on this planet.

metatron

• Freedom77
    Freedom77

That's some f****** weird sh!t there.

Wonder if this will lead to New Light (TM): In the new system of things, neither animals nor humans will be carnivores, or even herbivores. Thanks to Jehovah's gracious provisions for a righteous, peaceful new earth, where all life forms live in harmony, they will take nourishment by wiggling their nether digits in the soil and sucking up a satisfying, nutritious meal of pure electrons, an unending supply . . . .

Don't laugh. With the batsh!t crazy GB, it could happen.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Thanks

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Thanks

• Island Man
    Island Man

I smell a hoax.

The idea that any living thing lives on subatomic particles sounds rather ridiculous. Life exists at the molecular plane. Life is a complex symphony of chemical reactions. Nutrition is a chemical process. These things happen way above the subatomic scale - even though they depend on what happens down there. What happens at the subatomic scale is so miniscule and so fundamental as to be completely abstracted away from direct detection and and interaction with living systems. Sure, life can feel electricity - the effects of it - but it can't consciously and directly intereact with individual electrons because they are at a different scale of existence.

Saying that bacteria live by eating electrons sounds as ridiculous as saying that a species of rats have been discovered which collects helium atoms in their nests.

• metatron
    metatron

I believe the original article is from New Scientist.

metatron

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for posting Metaron. Fascinating.

It is no hoax. The article explains the process of energy transfer in respiration. All of chemistry - all of life - is electrons doing their thing.

Have a search at the Khan Academy for the Krebs Cycle or the Electron Transfer Chain.

It is probably leakage of electrons in this process resulting in free radicals that is the single most important factor in ageing, disease and death.

Here is a link to the New Scientist article...

• cofty
  • prologos
    prologos

and I thought it was photons, particles of radiation, and not electrons (a form of matter) that were "energy in it's purest form' and to think that this went on for at least 4 billion years. very interesting point that it would open a new window to explore the origin of life, using this simpler model of energy use.

• Focus
    Focus

metatron, cofty - while the news is legit, the heading rather leaves something to be desired.

Every time I eat anything, I'd have a very difficult time ensuring that enormous numbers of electrons were not part of that which I ate...

__

Focus

("Science" Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit