What did Russell mean by this statement?

by LogCon 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

kramer - in answer to your question concerning "a reference for the 2000 prediction", see below:

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our twentieth century" - (w1989 1/1 12) [Bold print added by me. You will not find this wording in the 1989 bound volume or on the Watchtower Library CD; "in our twentiteth century" was changed to "in our day". I still have the original mag, though, that has the "twentieth century" quote.

"Shortly, within our twentieth century , the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. (The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah—How? 1971, p. 216)

See the Awake! magazine 3-22-61 pages 5 to 8. You will find an article titled " The 20th Century in Bible Prophecy". You will find such as the following: " But then it also speaks of a group of people preaching about the righteous kingdom of God, a war of God against all wickedness, followed by a paradise without death — a ll to be realized in the twentieth century." " That now-operating kingdom in heaven will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness." "Revelation 16:16 calls it the "war of the great day of God the Almighty," Armageddon. This war will come in the twentieth century. It will come right on schedule."

There are other references, too. This is just a quick answer to your question.

• Focus
    Focus

Here's something I'd prepared 15+ years ago:

http://www.freeminds.org/history/list.htm

Additional to Magnum's examples:

1999 ".. there are many indications that 'the end' is much closer than that [the turn of the century]" {WT Mar 1 1984 18-9}

2000 "For the year 2000, I visualize a world transformed into a beautiful paradise! But I don't think that either the present world or its rulers will live to see that day.. We are living in the last days of the system of things." {AWAK Nov 8 1986 78}

2000-1 "If the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century [the year 2001 ?], which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that 'the conclusion of the system of things' is moving fast toward its end." {WT Oct 15 1980 31}

etc.

__

Focus

("The List" Class)

• SAHS
    SAHS

“LogCon”: . . . The fore-ordained number was completed at the fore-ordained time, 1881.

That just made me think of something: There is absolutely no way to actually tabulate the cumulative number of the 144,000 anointed since Pentacost 33 C.E. So, there could be absolutely no way to confirm whether that number would have been completed by any date. It’s not like newly-anointed ones were put into some timeless Excel spreadsheet starting in the first century. The WTS can therefire spin it any way they wish. It’s like trying to state what events supposedly occurred up in “heaven.” You could say whatever you like – who could prove or disprove it?

• Focus
    Focus

You could say whatever you like – who could prove or disprove it?

Duh.

Yo there, Bro' SAHS. All religions are based on this same scam.

Here on JWN, we give particular focus to one of the very worst of all religions, the WTS scam, which does evil on a monumental scale due to its other policies.. But in essence it has the same scam as all the other biggies.

Now, SAHS give me all you possess, pronto and I'll give it back to you a million-fold on the other side of the veil.

Deal?

__

Focus

("Doh!" Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit