Jumping cursor: what to do?

by compound complex 16 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

On my iMac laptop I am typing away and suddenly my words appear on a different line, often within the text of an earlier sentence. It is nonstop and the tech advice online is difficult for me to understand/apply. Never has occurred on my Dell pc.

Has this happened to you?

Thanks.

CC

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The word " cursor" conjures up images of cursing and curses. Yep, it must be posessed by CursED demons.

Oh, but I don't have an iMac and am technically challenged. That is just my jw guesstimate.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

When it happened to me I searched the tech advise. They said to turn it off at night and let it get cleaned up-it might have a virus. I turn it off every night now and it's never happened again. Maybe you have too many programs open. Can you get rid of those hidden ones you never use?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

This happens with my laptop (not a mac) when I type sometimes. When i type, my thumb hovers over the mouse pad and sometimes touches without me knowing. Maybe you're swiping your thumb over it without knowing? It took me a while to figure out why it was happening. You can try turning off the mouse pad (what ever its called on a laptop) when your typing a lot?

It usually happens wherever you last had your cursor right?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

When this happened to me I had to by a new mouse as the track pad on my laptop went bad.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My gut reaction was to advise you to get a new mouse.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I have a windows 7 MSI laptop, and this is a known bug for this one. There is even a fix out, but I can't locate it to tell you what is says.

It could be a bug. Have you tried reading net forums on that exact problem on that exact computer?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Image result for laptop touchpad

Touchpad. Thats what its called.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

If its a laptop, it doesnt have a mouse.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

There are several possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps until it's resolved.

1. Follow the instructions in this support article.

2. Open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check for unknown or forgotten input devices. Disconnect any USB input devices that you aren't using.

3. Boot in safe mode and test, preferably without launching any third-party applications. If you don't have the problem in safe mode, but it comes back when you reboot as usual, stop here and post your results. If you can't boot in safe mode, do the same. If you booted in safe mode and there was no change, go on to the next step.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. If you're using a Bluetooth trackpad, investigate potential sources of interference, including USB 3 devices.

6. A swollen battery in a MacBook Pro or Air can impinge on the trackpad from below and cause erratic behavior. If you have trouble clicking the trackpad, this is likely the reason. The battery must be replaced without delay.

7. There's a report that a (possibly defective) Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter can cause the built-in trackpad of a MacBook to behave erratically. If you're using such an adapter, disconnect it and test.

8. There's also a report of erratic cursor movements caused by an external display that was connected but not turned on.

9. If none of the above applies, or if you have another reason to think that your computer is being remotely controlled, remove it from the network by turning off Wi-Fi (or your Wi-Fi access point), disconnecting from a Bluetooth network link, and unplugging the Ethernet cable or USB modem, whichever is applicable. If the cursor movements stop at once, you should suspect an intrusion.

10. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine and/or external trackpad tested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit