Now this is strange...

by factfinder 21 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

I checked jw.org earlier today. The October 1 WT was up, but the PDF function did not work-still you could read the articles.

The October g was up too, no pdf but you could read the articles.

Oddly, after the article on Belize it had an item about not missing the upcoming 2014 Memorial of Jesus' death. Yes, 2014 Memorial.

Now I just checked to see if the pdf was working and the Oct 1 w and Oct 8 g are gone!

Anyone else notice this? Is somebody at Bethel awake who was posting those and screwing things up a bit-it was discovered and taken down.

Strange.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Just downloaded pdf of Oct study edition, no problems. (6:25PM eastern)

Maybe they had a little glitch earlier.

• factfinder
    factfinder

The Oct 1 w and Oct g are still not up. Makes me think someone posted it prematurely ahead of schedual although I was expecting the 10/1 w today. Must be a skip week, so it was pulled till next Thursday.

The w was on God's kingdom, nice cover illo of Jesus teaching the crowds and g was on true success.

• Listener
    Listener

If you put October 2014 Awake into Google search it will come up but the links don't work. One of the Articles is "What is true success?"

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The celestial chariot, earthly organization, and divinely inspired website had a choreography problem.

• factfinder
    factfinder

The dept in charge of putting the magazines online certainly was mixed up! No divine direction? Shocking! lol!

• factfinder
    factfinder

Listener- Thank you! I googled it-

I clicked on Watching the World-it comes up-

but you get an error message this page is not available if you click on any of the other articles.

Jehovah only wants the Watchting The World page from the Oct g online!

• Splash
    Splash
    The following articles are from the 'pulled' Awake! 2014 10. If someone has the inclination they can check these against the released version when it happens, to see if there were changes. Splash
    AWAKE! 2014-10
    What Is True Success?

Is it to follow your dreams? To have all your wishes come true? Or is it something deeper?

A woman holds up an award

What Is True Success?

There is a kind of success that is worse than failure.

How Do You Measure Success?

Test yourself using four scenarios.

Charlotte and Timothy

How to Achieve True Success

Five practical steps can lead you to real success.

A GPS-trackable device attached to a vehicle

Watching the World

Subjects include: the hazards of small dowries, riches for pirates on the high seas, and feats of endurance by migrating birds.

A boy walks away from a girl who asked him for his phone number

How to Resist Temptation

Being able to resist temptation is a mark of real men and women. Six tips can help you strengthen your resolve and avoid the stress that comes from giving in.

Belize coastline

A Visit to Belize

This small country has the world’s first jaguar preserve and its second largest coral reef.

A fruit bat eats fruit from a tree

Airborne Gardeners of the Tropical Rain Forest

Fruit bats, also known as flying foxes, are indispensable to earth’s environment.

A woman holds rosary beads and prays

Images

Did the early Christians use images in their worship?

Horses galloping

The Horse’s Leg

Why have engineers been unable to imitate its design?

• Splash
    Splash

COVER SUBJECT

What Is True Success?

WHAT could be worse than failure? False success. After all, when you fail at some endeavor, you can take steps to correct the situation. At the very least, you can learn from the experience and resolve to do better next time.

False success is different. Under its influence you can think you are winning when in fact you are losing. By the time you see the need to change, it may be too late.

Consider an example. Jesus Christ once asked: “What good will it do a man if he gains the whole world but loses his life?” (Matthew 16:26) That thought could well apply to those who devote themselves to the pursuit of money and all it can buy—the epitome of false success. “Thinking only in terms of the next major promotion, making more money or acquiring more stuff, fails to feed the soul,” writes career counselor Tom Denham. “Simply measuring success in monetary terms is shallow and will leave you empty in the long-term.”

Evidently, many people today would agree. In one survey conducted in the United States, “having a lot of money” came in 20th in a list of 22 “contributors to having a successful life.” Closer to the top were such things as good health, good relationships, and a job that you love.

Clearly, many people can distinguish between false success and true success—at least when they are asked. It is more challenging, however, to make decisions that reflect the proper view of success.

COVER SUBJECT | WHAT IS TRUE SUCCESS?

How to Achieve True Success

The Bible encourages a proper view of success. It does not teach that success is attainable only by a fortunate few. On the other hand, it does not endorse the storybook fantasy that if you simply ‘follow your dreams’ all your wishes will come true. That notion—which is all too often spoon-fed to children from an early age—will likely lead to disappointment.

The fact is, real success is within the grasp of anyone—but it requires effort. Consider the following principles.

• A stack of coins

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:

“A lover of silver will never be satisfied with silver, nor a lover of wealth with income.”—Ecclesiastes 5:10.

WHAT IT MEANS. A materialistic lifestyle does not guarantee satisfaction. In fact, it tends to do the opposite. “People whose primary motivations are financial are much more likely to be anxious and depressed than people who value strong relationships with others,” writes Dr. Jean M. Twenge in her book Generation Me. She adds: “Research consistently finds that money cannot buy happiness—after you reach a subsistence level, income is not significantly related to life satisfaction.”

WHAT YOU CAN DO. Set as a goal something more rewarding than wealth and possessions. “Guard against every sort of greed,” Jesus said, “because even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses.”—Luke 12:15.

• A proud man

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:

“Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.”—Proverbs 16:18.

WHAT IT MEANS. Ambition and conceit will not help you find true success. In fact, the book Good to Great notes that company leaders who have achieved long-term success “display a compelling modesty, are self-effacing and understated. In contrast, two thirds of the comparison companies had leaders with gargantuan personal egos that contributed to the demise or continued mediocrity of the company.” The lesson? Thinking too much of yourself is more likely to lead to failure than success.

WHAT YOU CAN DO. Instead of seeking prestige, cultivate modesty. The Bible says: “If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he is deceiving himself”—hardly an indicator of success!—Galatians 6:3.

• A hand holding a hammer

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:

“There is nothing better for a man than to . . . find enjoyment in his hard work.”Ecclesiastes 2:24.

WHAT IT MEANS. If you develop a strong work ethic, you will likely enjoy your work more. In her book Teach Your Children Well, Dr. Madeline Levine writes: “Part of feeling successful at something is being good at it and most of being good at something has to do with effort and persistence.” That includes having the resilience to deal with occasional setbacks.

WHAT YOU CAN DO. Work hard to become proficient, and do not give up when faced with obstacles. If you have children, give them (according to their age and ability) the opportunity to work through their problems. Do not be hasty to rush in and fix all their problems for them. Young people find genuine satisfaction—and acquire good training for adulthood—when they develop resilience.

• A dog

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:

“A live dog is better off than a dead lion.”—Ecclesiastes 9:4.

WHAT IT MEANS. If you work secularly, your job should be part of your life—but not your whole life. Really, how successful will you feel if you are at the top of your profession but lose your health or the respect of your family? People who are truly successful endeavor to keep their work, health, and family life in proper balance.

WHAT YOU CAN DO. Take care of yourself. Get proper rest. There is little benefit in becoming a workaholic who sacrifices everything—health, family, and friendships—for false success.

• An open Bible

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:

“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need.”—Matthew 5:3.

WHAT IT MEANS. Study of the Bible and application of its principles are essential ingredients in true success. In fact, millions of Jehovah’s Witnesses have found that putting spiritual matters first in their individual lives has reduced their anxieties over material interests.—Matthew 6:31-33.

WHAT YOU CAN DO. Learn how the Bible can help you to find true success. For more information, contact Jehovah’s Witnesses locally or visit our Web site, www.jw.org.

“My Former Success Was Superficial”

Charlotte and Timothy

Timothy and Charlotte lived in a large home with many rooms. They had a number of luxury cars and took several expensive vacations each year. Yet, at the height of their material success, they gave it up. Awake! asked Timothy what changed their thinking.

What kind of work were you doing?

I worked in the music industry and in accounting. Charlotte was a chiropractic assistant, and she also worked in banking. Later, we opened four barber shops. I was considered successful in all these endeavors. In fact, I hardly had to work because I had others working for me. Eventually, though, Charlotte and I decided to scale back. We sold much of what we owned.

Why did you “scale back”?

We could sense that we were not truly successful. The excitement that accompanied each purchase would quickly pass, leaving us feeling empty, unsatisfied, and unfulfilled.

How did you find true success?

As one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I had always been active in the Christian ministry. Although for a time Charlotte and I were spending 70 hours each month teaching the Bible to others, the ministry was not actually the focus of our lives. So we sold our businesses and made ourselves available to serve wherever there was a need for more Bible teachers. Today we are serving at the United States branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Since this is part of our ministry, I receive no pay and no special recognition. We have what we need materially. But that is not the focus of our life.

Do you feel more successful than before?

Absolutely. My former success was superficial. What I have now is bringing me lasting satisfaction because I know that the work I am doing is helping to take the Bible’s message to people worldwide and is improving their lives.*

• Splash
    Splash
    AWAKE! 2014-10

APPEARED IN

COVER SUBJECT | WHAT IS TRUE SUCCESS?

How Do You Measure Success?

To test yourself, think about the following hypothetical scenarios.

Who would you say is truly successful?

• Alex

ALEX

Alex owns a business. He is honest, hardworking, and courteous. Alex’s business has flourished, and as a result, he and his family live comfortably.

• Cal

CAL

Cal owns a similar business, and he makes far more money than Alex. In an effort to beat the competition, though, Cal has become a workaholic and has numerous illnesses.

• Janet

JANET

Janet is a middle-school student who studies diligently and loves to learn. As a result, she gets good grades.

• Ellen

ELLEN

Ellen gets even better grades than Janet and is an honor-roll student—but she cheats on tests and has little real interest in her education.

If you said that Cal and Ellen—or all four individuals—were successful, you might be measuring success by results only, regardless of the means by which those results were achieved.

On the other hand, if you chose only Alex and Janet, you probably measure success by a person’s character traits and work ethic. It makes sense to do so. Consider the following examples.

• Which is better for Janet’s long-term welfare—that she get the highest grades or that she nurture a love of learning?

• Which is better for Alex’s children—that they have everything money can buy or that they have a father who shows that he values spending time with them?

The bottom line: False success is based on image; true success is based on proper values.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit