My Book of Bible Stories- Sex and Violence

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

On a previous post on the bible's sex-violence several mentioned children and the Yellow book (1978 version). I will compile a list here.

One only needs to go to story 6 to find a man smashing his brothers skull in and picture of his brother's blood on the ground. The very next story 7 has pictures of violence, clut worship, drunkeness, (unimplied sex).

The next story 8 shows a giant beating a person the death while holding them with one hand. Another giant is stealing. (BTW this is not in the bible the WT made this up)

A couple of stories later has global genocide by water, including a baby shown naked. 10

Two stories later in the Tower of Babel scene if you look on the left of the tower a man is thrown off. 12

Story 14 show Abraham about to kill Isaac. 15 Genocide at Sodom. Lot's wife is Salt.

Story 18 introduces polygomy

Story 20 has scantly clad womone and a man looking at a woman about to rape her.

Story 21 had a boy being thrown in a well.

Srory 24 Siblings playing cruel tricks on brothers

Story 26 has Job with what looks like leeches on his skin and his marriage problems

27 People are beaten

28 Baby discarded

29 Man hunted with spears

30 Forest fire... sorry that funny lol

Now i will post the rest in the next few days but you all get the idea lol

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And I grew up with this being read to me as sweet bedtime stories!

Amazing how I was never allowed to watch any violent tv shows or movies..but the good old bible stories book was A OK!

Sick...I wonder what sort of residual, subconcious effect it has on kids?

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

Right from when I was a baby, my mother had these stories playing on tape when she wasn't reading them to me herself.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

HTBWC - I was shocked when I found out my wife had been reading this to my son without my knoweledge - I was even more shocked when I actually started to read through it. The graphic violence is one thing but the thing which came through loud and clear is how they uyse these images to impart phobias and deliver messages - so I went through and analysed the messages (I skimmed the whole thing cover to cover) - the most common one was that if you don't obey Jehovah he will kill or harm you in cruel ways (laying the groundwork for acceptance of Armageddon as reality), the second commonest is that if you obey Jehovah he will protect you (laying the groundwork for the idea that if you are part of the organisation you will be protectected from the wrath of god) and then other messages such as why it is dangerous to associate with worldly people. Once you do this analysis you realise how insidisous this book is. In my view there should be a ban on exposing children to this abusive material.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

It really should be banned. But then, I think the Bible should be banned for its graphic portrayal of violence. When I was "in", I didn't see a thing wrong with those stories and now I see that it is showing us the Bible god as he really is, a pathetic, evil person and some people actually learn from those stories and imitate them. I think that's why there is so much evil in the world, after all, if god does it, isn't he setting the example?

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Another thing. I was visiting my son in Knoxville and his little boy mentioned at the supper table that "and they killed all the baby boys". They take him to a private day care sponsored by a religion. My son nearly hit the roof. He had to attend all the meetings because his cult-filled mother made him go. He said "they did not". Grandson said, "yes they did, Daddy". "No, they didn't". At that time, I nearly piped up with "yes, they did". That was before I knew the Bible is a plagerized book and full of lies. (Two years ago.) The next day my son went to the Day Care and gave them a talking to.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Well, I remember as a witness dad and an elder as that skipped the most outragieous stories when teaching/reading for my children.

• not bitter
    not bitter

As a child I loved the graphic pictures and would study them meticulously.

Of course I wouldn't dream of allowing my child to look at the book

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

Frazzled UBM, that's so true about the messages. I don't remember if the stuff about birthdays was in "My Book of Bible Stories" or in "Listening to the Great teacher", but the two examples given of birthdays both had people getting their head chopped off.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

You could argue the same about children's fairy tales.

A fox being boiled alive in water
    A little girl being menaced by a woof who eats her grandmother
    A witch who tempts children into her candy house

etc. etc.

Oh yeah, but they are fairy tales!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit