I want it to be the truth, but I don't believe it. Unless I do but don't want to. Huh?

by noonehome 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• noonehome
    noonehome

If I did believe, I think I could have what it takes to be what's considered a 'good jw'....being a missionary actually really appeals to me. But obviously I couldn't live that life if I didn't believe in my heart it's the truth.

I'm young, and interested in doing some kind of humanitarian work... kind of a secular equivalent of "serving where the need is greater." I'm not really sure where in life this would get me...missionaries believe they'll be taken care of by god and have that nifty hope of paradise. This life is just their ticket to the eternal chocolate factory. I don't really have any of that anymore, but I do still care about things like world conditions and suffering... probably more so than before actually.

Has anyone ever looked into volunteering abroad or anything? Building wells and the like... I don't even know. I'd have no idea where to start or how to finance myself in that kind of a lifestyle or what kind of future it brings. But I have that need to be involved in something important and have much love for and interest in others... just without belief. It's strange. Because that could be channeled as a good JW ...but falsely. Maybe I do believe and I'm in denial because I feel guilty for not believing. Does that even make sense? Can I believe again if I really went for it, or is that just self-willed brainwash? There's nobody I can talk to about this stuff and I feel like a crazy bastard. Maybe I should just go to bed.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I think the 'Peace Corps' is still in operation. It was started in the early 1960s by President John Kennedy. Google it to find their website. That should give you a place to start. I think it might be what you are looking for. Good luck!!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Noonehome, great idea, if I was twenty years younger I'd do it like a shot.

Try this site,

www.workaway.info

There is an article about it here,

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/12/working-holidays-volunteering-breaks-lessons-learned

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Noonehome, your feelings are perfectly normal! To be young and have a love for people and want to do big things to help is really cool. Check out the CNN Heroes blog, there are wildly diverse groups from all over the globe doing great things who are nominated each year, and usually contact info is provided.

Best wishes! Do something great for humanity, not for the wts real estate billionaires club.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There is a great feeling from making a difference. There is no need to spiritualize it. The Peace Corps was the first organization that came to mind. I am curious about the activities of Engineers Without Borders.

• zeb
    zeb

I support Medicins san Frontierres. (Doctors without borders) i would go overseas but im not medical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit