Intelligent design vs evolution.

by moley 13 Replies latest jw friends

• moley
    moley

I was out walking my dog and thought, there is no way an intelligent being would create this animal :-)

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

While I do think the universe has a purpose, I do not know what that purpose is. Thankfully we are all in the same exact boat. Just a big guessing game.

Some things though, cannot be guessed at. Evidence suggests the diverse amount of life on this planet was through Darwinian Evolution and Natural Selection. The theory may have holes, but that doesn't make it not true. Having Intelligent Design shoved down my throat through the Watchtower has not helped either. ID is more of a sciency way of saying Creationism. Just without the 7 earth days thing. In reality, Intelligent Design is the theory. And not a scientific theory either. (I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say I've heard worse. I mean, I read "Darwin's Black Box for Christ's sake! I gave ID more than just a chance. I had to believe it to be a JDUB)

I'd ask other Jehovah's Wittnesses my doubts concearning ID. Usually in line with, "Why do we have this many fingers and not more? Why get rid of the Dinosaurs, what was there purpose to begin with? etc." There answers usually came into line with "Because God(Jehovah) Made it that way."

That's the best answer I got. Even if it was, to me a copout answer. It's another reason why I am not of this bankrupted faith. There responses were not satisfactory.

I do not claim to know much about Evolution because of my having to deny it so much when I was in. It was through Forums that helped me come to a better knowledge. Evolution is just the process of Change. Understanding that helped open my mind, and I use it to open other peoples minds too.

This used to be a topic I followed with great interest. But it's a debate I now see as vanity. Everyone is just so stubborn and unwilling to see other perspectives. (It can get heated) Still, never hurts to raise awarness to JDubs how they are in the minoroity for a reason.

• cofty
    cofty

strangelove - There are some excellent books that would help you understand it if you are interested.

It is the most amazing subject once you get into it.

• designs
    designs

Let me tell you a little story about Adam and Eve.....they didn't exist.

• Magnum
    Magnum

cofty: strangelove - There are some excellent books that would help you understand it if you are interested.

Do you have some particular books in mind? If so, please list them.

• cofty
    cofty

"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll

"The Making of the Fittest" by Sean B Carroll

"Evolution, What The Fossils say" by Donald Prothero

"Why Evolution is true" by Jerry Coyne

"Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins

"The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins

"Life Ascending" by Nick Lane

"Why Darwin Matters" by Michael Shermer

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thank you.

The only ones on the list I have are "Why Evolution is True" and "The Blind Watchmaker". Will get the others.

• cofty
    cofty

Sean B Carroll is my current favourite. His field is developmental evolutionary biology - evo devo.

He looks at how genes control the development of the embryo.

Shermer's book is specifically about the ID movement in the USA.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I've heard of Carroll and am interested in evo devo. Also, I'm familiar with Shermer but didn't know he had written about ID. Will check Amazon for both.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was out walking my dog and thought, there is no way an intelligent being would create this animal :-)

Dogs and camels just prove there is a sense of humor involved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit