Online Higher Education

by SonoftheTrinity 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

You can get a superb online education at http://www.jwfacts.com

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Dis-Member - Access to information is not the same as education.

The advantage of being around other students is that there is an

interchange, face to face. Debate occurs. Practical skills are practiced.

You could study automotive mechanics online, and get all the information,

but it will never replace taking a car apart and putting it back together.

You learn from doing and you learn from example and interacting with others.

Learning alone in isolation, you can get the impression you have the whole

picture, when in fact your in some disconnected, half truth

or delusion of knowledge. Sort of like being a JW.

Life is lived in collaboration and social skills are just as important

as , learned by rote, facts and figures. The value of university or technical

school is its social experience. Its about how to function in a professional

environment. An element of learning can occur online, but to function in

the real world and among other people, you need to be in person, interacting.

In a university/college setting you learn problem solving, organization, critical

thinking. You apply knowledge and hold it up for examination and see how

your results or ideas are perceived by others. Even those who are "Googling"

information, must first know what questions to ask and how to judge valid

sources and invalid sources.

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

The reason is not just "bad association". The other, bigger, issue is that according to the governing body (intentional non-capitalization) is materialism. They do not want witnesses to be wealthy. You figure out why.

CC

• St George of England
    St George of England

I don't know anything about distance learning in countries other than the UK, but here we have the Open University which has a first class reputation. As has already been pointed out, it's not easy and you have to be very disciplined, which is why they prefer the more mature student.

The study also includes regular tutorials where you meet up with other students on the course.

And then there is the SUMMER SCHOOL!!!!!!

If you have never been to an OU Summer School, you haven't lived. (So maybe a problem for JWs.....)

George

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Will they become engineers, without knowing how to collaborate and work with a team ?

Part of the online engineering course that I am doing actually includes carrying out a group project with five other students. Such technologies as Skype, Dropbox etc. now make this possible. Practical exercises are also a regular feature of this course, using a technology called "Virtual Lab." This is veryreal: - the only thing missing is the electric shock you would otherwise receive if you were being a bit careless!

Distance Education has come a long way since the days of International Correspondence Schools (ICS), and similar such institutions of the "Snail Mail" age.

All this may be derided by some, and I can quite see their point. However, on-line education does give the likes of myself a second chance

i.e. Having missed out on going to university for reasons all of us here are all too familiar with, and now working full time on remote sites, far away from any college.

Bill.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Education noun noun: education ; 1. the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university. " a course of education "

synonyms: teaching, schooling, tuition, tutoring, instruction, pedagogy, andragogy, coaching, training, tutelage, drilling, preparation, guidance, indoctrination, inculcation, enlightenment, edification, cultivation, development, improvement, bettering

I understand what you mean villagegirl, there are no exams, no tutoring, diplomas etc. But I think it qualifies.

It's how most of us here got our knowledge of the TATT. Online distance learning. Teaching oneself by using the incredible resources that are available online on any and every subject is most defintely educational.

I became a professioanal photographer by completely teaching myself. Before that I was a professional musician again entirely self taught.

Believe in yourself.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I graduated college quite a while ago. Online learning cheats students. I graduated Columbia University. Although my professors were impressive, I still feel that I learned the most from my classmates. The repartee before and after class was essential. I learned Star Trek jokes in the dorm. A campus is important. I can see Coursera. No one is getting credit. I don't understand people shielding their children from real life in a nice environment.

Congress has held hearings about these online colleges. The failure rate is astronomical. Most of these schools are interested in the proceeds of federal student loans. I suggest you research online courses and this college in particular. Right now I can't recall which Senator and House members held hearings.

II took computer courses at a for-profit college. Paralegal are not doing well b/c lawyers are not doing well. This college had a paralegal section for high school students. The norm is a four year degree from a respectable college. I wasn't going to make them depressed. When I asked if anyone interviewed a paralegal in practice, the answer is no. Did anyone interview a graduate of this college currently in practice? What placement services were available? No.

I suggested they do some research. They won't do it.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I agree with Band on the Run. A significant part of education is interaction with your instructor and with fellow students. However, if one must seek online instruction there are a few good regionally accredited programs. Western Governors University is one. Several high class universities offer part distance learning. Check with your state universities first. Another approach is to mix challenge tests and class room attendance. Some universities offer an assesment of prior learning, credit for life experience.

I don't know the current status of the program, but back in the day U. of Illinois had a quality distance program.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

An additional thought: The Watchtower fears bad association far less than exposure to ideas they reject. They kill any native reasoning ability for the sake of sectarian unity, leaving Witnesses incapable of reasoning through new material. Rational thought and Watchtower belief are not compatible.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

You can get a 'non' online degree by registering with a normal college that also offers online classes in addition to regular ones. Since they even have night classes a combination can work out where some things that will be important to remember and know well will be much better learned in person.

Here is a really tip, look into "CLEP" exams. Many colleges accept passing CLEP exams to get college credit. It won't change your GPA but you get full credit. You only pay for the test, which is like $80.00. You can find websites and books to prepare for the CLEP exams the colleges accept.

Right now I'm doing college algrebra. About 30 hours of work I'll have done divided into 1 to 2 hours a day and I'll be ready for the exam. I could have probably done it even quicker but I actually have to learn it because then I have to take more advanced math so this is just saving me 3 months time, some money, and helping me grad quicker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit