STOP calling JW's a CULT--unless . . . they fit the checklist!

by Terry 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I happen to think it is not helpful when talking to J.W's to call it a Cult, you simply go down a blind alley and talk about semantics.

To show them how cults and mind-control, high-control groups work, and let them draw their own conclusions is probably better.

But I have done that, and still received the "So what?" attitude, "we have the Truth, and whatever the faithful Slave sees fit to do is O.K by me".

They cannot see how controlled their minds are.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Jehovah's Witnesses have earned all the pejorative terms heaped upon them. That doesn't mean there aren't decent people in their ranks. Nor does it mean that the religion is amoral. But the undeniable fact remains that despite claims to the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses are followers of men and not Christ, "having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power and from these turn away."

Quendi

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I think all religions have some cult behaviour in them to more or lesser degrees. The points you have posted show that the JW's fit those criteria’s of being classified as being a cult.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

What makes you think the checklist is definitive? I agree with Vidiot about semantics and using equivalent terms that better explain who they are rather that trying to use a label. There was a time when Jehovah's Witnesses didn't consider themselves a "religion". They are definitely an authoritarian, high-control group.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

In other words, thay are a bloody cult all-right!

Bill

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

If you ask me, the checklist is too big. All you really need is #5 to be considered a harmful cult, in my book. Though #5 is a pretty big one, and in one way or another includes most of the others. #5 (The BITE control) includes the most harmful bit, IMO - shunning (which is part of information control) and "seperateness from the world" (which is really just shunning lite). Without shunning, people would truely have the freedom to leave conscienciously without having their family held hostage.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If it's at all possible to get through to a JW, the most effective ways are...

a) speak the language...

and b) frame your arguments in a way that are simply impossible to refute (without looking like idiots or assholes).

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

JUST GOOGLE TOP 10 CULTS JW'S ARE USUALLY TOP 3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit