Why do so many refer to Elders as "window washers"?

by adjusted knowledge 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i never knew any elders who were window washers. Most that i knew were not raised as witnesses and many had very good jobs and good education.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are exceptions to every rule. My KH was populated by brothers who were not functionally literate. The sisters were far more capable than the brothers. I have grave doubts about lawyers from any decent law school being JWs. It could be one way of getting clients. You are taught the Socratic method. Hard questions must be asked. All sides of an arguments must be understood. Rational thought during the day and idiocy by night. Lawyers, mds, engineers,--these fools brains should be held to a higher standard. What do they do sit in the audience as their years of education are reviled. When I was in colllege, my gm laughed so hard at college students. Her deathbed confession was that she was proud of me and that she had wanted to be a family lawyer. These people obey without questioning. If you have a third grade education, you have no business being a Witness.

My hunch is that relationship to authority is the larger issue. Nazis, Maoists, Stalinists, Khmer Rouge. There are plenty of individuals with no courage. If you become a Witness through JW.org, you are in for major surprises. Education is the exception. The rule is window washers. Of course, self-employment is impressive. Tolerance for risk is present.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

because people here like to ridicule Jehovah's Witnesses and portray them as being dumb and uneducated.

In the meantime JW's manage to do all the things they want and many of them follow or have followed higher education.

• Giordano
    Giordano

It's mainly a reaction against the Societies end of the world 'avoid higher education' policy. Unless of course they need a professional to help them out at Bethel.

When I got out at 23 in the 1960's we were just entering the college is for everyone era. Perhaps because of one's draft status during the Vietnam war people became gung ho for college which was a good thing as it turned out.

The Society on the other hand was and still is a 19th century religion whose doctrines are nothing more then the fashionable nonsense prevalent in that century. The WT founders had an 8th grade education....... if that. And all of their thinking is filtered through the doctrine that we are living in the end times. Even in 1879 thats all they talked about.....it was right around the corner!

Unfortunately, In their reckless approach to their followers, everyday concerns are pushed back with a prevailing we just need do nothing but knock on doors and sound the warning....... until old age beckons.

Old age needs....nonsense you will not get old. The end is coming......... it's almost here.

• Giordano
    Giordano

because people here like to ridicule Jehovah's Witnesses and portray them as being dumb and uneducated.

In the meantime JW's manage to do all the things they want and many of them follow or have followed higher education.

Apparently you haven't read the posts proceeding yours. I for one was surprised at the number of professionals now associated with the JW's which doesn't change the fact that to be a JW in good standing you have to submit to a mistake prone (doctrinal flip flops) association that doesn't mind thousands of people dying for want of a blood transfusion and in years past vaccines and transplants. The WTBTS is and has always been reckless with the health and educational needs of its followers.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

JWs are statistically one of the lowest educated religions, by far. The reasons for this are obvious, from multiple angles.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In answer to theThread Title, it is simply shorthand to call them "window washers" . They are in the main not very well educated, and certainly not experienced in handling what comes their way as Elders.

They are not qualified to counsel people with mental health problems. They are not qualified to deal with Child Abuse and Domestic Abuse and Violence issues.

Sadly, they are not qualified either to teach about the Bible.

We would not expect the guy who comes to clean our windows to be qualified in those sorts of areas either, so the shorthand works.

It is the fact that the W.T, and their appointed men, like to pretend they are educated and skilled in these areas that makes us use a label that quickly draws attention to the truth.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In my old congregation?

PO; Janitor,

Secretary; Bank Manager,

Service Overseer; parts counter person.

Other elders? Truck driver, retired, retired, former motel owner, laborer.

No higher education for any of them.

Most pioneers were welfare mothers.

• Clambake
    Clambake

My in congregation we have these young elders who work as electrician helpers. I asked you are apprenticed, getting your hours in. They are like no. It would look bad to the rest of the congregation.

Considering there is already three journeymen electrician in the congregation, it would make you a horrible worldy person to go to school for eight weeks for four years. Why make 40 dollars an hour when you can make 12 the rest of your life.

Stupid.

Would you actually have to step down as an elder because you want to tech school for eight weeks ??

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Because their sex life is boring...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit