DC (Landover) Convention in August

by insearchoftruth 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

We do have a couple members on this forum that I know will be attending and will likely give us a good review.

From what I understand, this is viewed as a very important convention since it is in the heart of the “seventh world power”.

I do wonder if it would help to have a letter campaign to the Washington Times to get a more balance article come convention time, rather than just having a fluff PR piece that usually adorn such events. Of course, the Washington Times was founded by a cult, so I wonder if they would even be amendable.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

How about the Washington Post or some of the Northern Virginia papers?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

How about the Washington Post or some of the Northern Virginia papers?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS gets around that when discussing paying income taxes (or any taxes) to a government whose policies are against your own beliefs.

*** w75 4/1 p. 214 par. 4 Are You Guided by a Sensitive Christian Conscience? ***

For example, a person might recognize that Jehovah is not backing the wars of the nations, but that he urges his people to learn the ways of peace. (Isa. 2:4) Knowing that usually the nations support their armies with tax money, would it be balanced and Scriptural for his conscience to lead him to refuse to pay taxes? Or to pay his taxes minus a percentage corresponding to what the government spends on its defense budget? While some persons have taken such a stand, the Bible evidence weighs against a conscience that leads to such a course. Christians are plainly told to pay their taxes, and this was put in the Bible despite the fact that the then-existing Roman government supported a vast army. (Matt. 22:17-21; Rom. 13:1, 7) Thus the Christian can, with a clear conscience balanced by God’s Word, pay his taxes, leaving with the governments the responsibility of how the money is used.

• blondie
    blondie

And a more current WTS statement:

*** w11 9/1 pp. 21-22 Taxes—Must You Pay Them? ***

Taxes and Conscience

Significantly, a portion of the taxes that first-century Christians were instructed to pay went to the military. This is the very issue of conscience that later moved Gandhi and Thoreau to withhold taxes.

Notice that Christians obeyed the command in Romans chapter 13 not merely because they wanted to avoid punishment but also “on account of [their] conscience.” (Romans 13:5) Yes, a Christian’s conscience actually requires him to pay taxes, even if these are used to support activities that he personally rejects. To understand this seeming paradox, we must recognize a key fact about our conscience, the inner voice that tells us whether our actions are right or wrong.

Everyone has such an inner voice, as Thoreau observed, but it is not necessarily trustworthy. In order for us to please God, our conscience must conform to his moral standards. We often need to adjust our thinking or viewpoint to align with God’s because his thoughts are superior to ours. (Psalm 19:7) We should therefore endeavor to understand God’s view of human governments. What is his view?

We note that the apostle Paul called human governments “God’s public servants.” (Romans 13:6) What does that mean? Basically it means that they maintain order and perform valuable duties for society. Even the most corrupt governments often provide such services as mail delivery, public education, fire protection, and law enforcement. Although God is fully aware of the defects of these man-made authorities, he tolerates their existence for a time and mandates that we pay taxes out of respect for his arrangement, that is, his permitting such governments to rule mankind.

God’s allowance of rule by human governments, however, is only temporary. It is his will to replace all of them with his heavenly Kingdom and ultimately undo all the damage that human rulership has inflicted upon mankind through the centuries. (Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:10) In the meantime, though, God has not authorized Christians to engage in civil disobedience by refusing to pay taxes or by any other means.

What if, like Gandhi, you still feel that paying taxes that support war is sinful? Just as our view of an area is improved if we climb to higher ground, we can more readily adjust our thinking to match God’s by reflecting on how much higher his viewpoint is than ours. Through the prophet Isaiah, God said: “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”—Isaiah 55:8, 9.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks Blondie, but there are and were other choices, but I think they were more driven to make sure the location is as close to DC as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit