BASIC questions any reasonable person might ask

by Terry 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I wonder about things. I wonder why other people don't wonder about them.

For example:

Have you ever been to a Circus and seen a "Clown Car"?

The little "bug" Volkswagon drives out and clowns get out. Lots and lots and lots and lots of Clowns!

Do you have that image in your mind?

Okay--why is it in the New Testament a Legion of demons cram into one person?

1. Why so many clown demons packed into one demon-possessed person?

2. What size is a demon, anyway?

3. Is it comfortable to be crammed into some idiot?

4. When Jesus "cast out" the demons into the herd of swine . . . the swine drowned in the sea. Now what? Were they trapped under water?

Can demons swim? Do demons have to "fit" into any life form? Do they get stuck?

So, you see--I have too much time on my hands. However, if we're supposed to take these things seriously, shouldn't they make

some kind of real sense?

http://www.cmf.org.uk/publications/content.asp?context=article&id=619

( http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-physics-of-clown-cars-feature

• Terry
    Terry

Why no demons or demon-possession mentioned in the Old Testament?

I know they didn't have a word for demon in Hebrew. The Greeks and Persians seemed to have the most influence over the very idea.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Um, I think you have too much time on your hands, Terry.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I wonder about those same things, and I, too, wonder why more people don't wonder about them. Why did (do) demons want to be "in" something in the first place? Why do they prefer pig or human bodies over their own (whatever they would be like)?

Mt 8:28-32

When he got to the other side, into the country of the Gad·a·renes ′ , there met him two demon-possessed men coming out from among the memorial tombs, unusually fierce, so that nobody had the courage to pass by on that road. And, look! they screamed, saying: “What have we to do with you, Son of God? Did you come here to torment us before the appointed time?” But a long way off from them a herd of many swine was at pasture. So the demons began to entreat him, saying: “If you expel us, send us forth into the herd of swine.” Accordingly he said to them: “Go!” They came out and went off into the swine; and, look! the entire herd rushed over the precipice into the sea and died in the waters

Why would the demons want to enter the swine if the swine were going to die shortly? How did they 'go off into the swine'? How does that work? Do demons have some kind of actual body? If so, and if it's not physical and doesn't answer to our laws of physics, how would it enter a physical body and interact with and manipulate it? Why did the swine rush over the precipice and die? Did the demons intentionally cause them to do that? If so, why? It would seem to defeat the purpose unless it was like some kind of joy ride to them and maybe they got some kind of pleasure out of the pigs' death experience.

Very good question about why no demons or demon possession mentioned in the OT.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

You just gave me a great idea for a Sci Fi novel!!!

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Good stuff as usual Terry. Keep it coming. I always wondered about that account. No demon infestations in Ot, none now (that I'm aware of). Apparently very popular around the time of Jesus.

• Terry
    Terry

I think whoever was making the story up assumed swine were just like luxury condominiums for demons because

the dietary laws forbid the use of pork or swine-related products.

In other words, it was a no-brainer and a spectacular finish as a good story.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Heres one .When Christ died and the saints came out of the tombs and then entered the city.Where did they go from then, did they die again, did they ascend with Christ etc

• caroline77
    caroline77

Terry is clearly a thinker and has brought up some good points. Apparently pigs are infested with parasites (if not kept correctly) which, if eaten by humans in undercooked meat, can migrate to the brain and cause insanity. That is most likely the illness which the poor man was suffering from rather than anything supernatural.

• UFCFan
    UFCFan

A bunch of them can fit in someone, mainly because they don't exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit