Why believe in the Big Bang?

by defender of truth 17 Replies latest social current

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"This pruning of sources suggests an argument concocted from the Watch Tower. It's fraudulent. With your moniker you should be ashamed of yourself."

I'm no apologist, matey, I just wanted to start a discussion on reasons to believe the Big Bang theory. I used the wording 'believe in' to stir people up a bit, that's all.
    Sorry if the OP was unclear, all of those first quotes come from the '96 Awake, then the final one is Awake as well.
    Of course it's misleading, that is why I posted it directly after the article on reasons to trust the Big Bang theory.
    Thanks for the interesting contributions everyone :)

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Phizzy said: "Belief is trusting that something is true without evidence."

belief
    3: conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/belief

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Phenomenon
    2c: a fact or event of scientific interest susceptible to scientific description and explanation
    3a: a rare or significant fact or event

http://i.word.com/idictionary/phenomenon

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

The other thing is that I don't modify how I live my life according to belief in the big bang. It mostly comes down to, "this is interesting." That and other most likely theories with the evidence we have aren't a basis for day to day actions.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

The Watchtower did sort of allow for the possibility that the Big Bang could have started the universe, in an Awake in 2002, I suppose after 'wordly' research and discovery had refined the theory.
    "The Limits of Science
    It is fitting to have proper respect for scientific knowledge and achievements. However, many will agree that while science involves a way of knowing, it is not the only source of knowledge. The purpose of science is to describe phenomena in the natural world and to assist in answering how these phenomena occur.Science provides us with insights into the physical universe, meaning everything that is observable. But no matter how far scientific investigation goes, it can never answer the question of purpose—why the universe exists in the first place. “There are some questions that scientists can never answer,” remarks author Tom Utley. “It may be that the Big Bang happened 12 billion years ago. But why did it happen? . . . How did the particles get there in the first place? What was there before?” Utley concludes: “It seems . . . clearer than ever that science will never satisfy the human hunger for answers.”
    g02 6/8 pp. 4-7
    How Did the Universe and Life Originate?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

( though "Big Bang" is sort of Tabloid Journalese for the event/s).

"Big Bang" was a perjorative term used by those attached to "steady state" models of the universe. They had no use for a cosmology where the universe has an origin uncomfortably similar to Genesis ("Let there be light"), especially one pioneered by a Jesuit.

Recommended reading: The Day We Found the Universe, Marica Bartusiak, ISBN 978-0-307-27660-5.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I believe in the Big Bang Theory..

..........Because of Penny..

........http://www.celebquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/big-bang-theory-quotes-38.gif

.............................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Even when I was a JW I accepted BB theory. Never "believed".

We believe in dogmas and doctrines.

We understand and accept scientific theories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit