When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed references

by GoUnion 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scary21
    scary21

The old Babylon book has a chart that shows all the kings.....going back it takes you to 586...simple and this is in their own book.

• johnamos
    johnamos

GoUnion,

Print this out to show him. Don’t show him anything from the internet other then what the WTS cites from the British Museum.

____________________________________ cut_______________________________________________

[Insight Volume 1 p. 205 ASSYRIA The fall of the empire.

The Babylonian Chronicle B.M. (British Museum) 21901 recounts the fall of Nineveh, the capital of Assyria, following a siege carried out by the combined forces of Nabopolassar, the king of Babylon, and of Cyaxares the Mede during the 14th year of Nabopolassar (632 B.C.E.) According to the same chronicle, in the 14th year of Nabopolassar (632 B.C.E.), Ashur-uballit II attempted to continue Assyrian rule from Haran as his capital city. This chronicle states, under the 17th year of Nabopolassar (629 B.C.E.): “In the month Du´uzu, Ashur-uballit, king of Assyria, (and) a large [army of] E[gy]pt [who had come to his aid] crossed the river (Euphrates) and [marched on] to conquer Harran.” (Ancient Near Eastern Texts, p. 305; brackets and parentheses theirs.) Actually, Ashur-uballit was trying to reconquer it after having been driven out. This record is in harmony with the account relative to the activity of Pharaoh Nechoh recorded at 2 Kings 23:29, which activity resulted in the death of King Josiah of Judah (c. 629 B.C.E.). This text states that “Pharaoh Nechoh the king of Egypt came up to the king of Assyria by the river Euphrates”—evidently to help him. “The king of Assyria” to whom Nechoh came may well have been Ashur-uballit II. Their campaign against Haran did not succeed. The Assyrian Empire had ended.]

Based on the WTS usage of the years 632 & 629, this means that the Assyrian Empire (second world power) ended in 629, thus beginning the Babylonian Empire as the new third world power in Nabopolassar’s 17 th year.

[Insight Volume 1 p. 238 BABYLON

In 625 B.C.E., Nabopolassar’s eldest son, Nebuchadnezzar (II), defeated Pharaoh Necho of Egypt at the battle of Carchemish, and in the same year he assumed the helm of government. (Jer 46:1, 2)]

[Instight Volume 2 p.480 During the 21st year of Nabopolassar’s reign, Nebuchadnezzar marched with the Babylonian army to Carchemish, there to fight against the Egyptians.]

Based on the WTS usage of the year 625, this means that Nebuchadnezzar’s 1 st year was 625, which was Nabopolassar’s 21 st and final year.

[8-1-81 WT “The idol-worshiping Babylonians now were in line for God’s judgment to be executed upon them. That happened in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon was overthrown by the Medes and the Persians.”]

[9-15-98 WT “The Medes and the Persians easily took the city, and Belshazzar did not live through the night. With his death, and the apparent surrender of Nabonidus to Cyrus, the Neo-Babylonian Empire came to an end.”]

According to all of the above, the Babylonian Empire ruled as the third world power starting in 629 (the Assyrian Empire ended) with Nabopolassar and continued to be the third world power until 539 when the Babylonian Empire came to its end with the death of Belshazzar and the surrender of Nabonidus by and to the Medes and the Persians. (629-539=90 years)

In a Watchtower article dated 10-1-11 it states that according to secular chronology, the Babylonians dominated for 70 years, from 609 B.C.E. until 539 B.C.E. when the capital city of Babylon was captured.

The Babylonian Chronicle 21901 from the British Museum that the WTS references in the Insight Volume 1 states:

[Cuneiform tablet with part of the Babylonian Chronicle (616-609 BC)

The text of the Chronicle is broken for the year 612 BC, but the Medes joined the Babylonian forces and laid siege to Nineveh between June and August. Eventually the city fell and was plundered, though some Assyrians escaped westwards. A new Assyrian king, Ashur-uballit II rallied his troops at the city of Harran. The following year the Babylonians plundered the region of Harran. In 610/9 Ashur-uballit and the Egyptians who had come to his aid withdrew west of the Euphrates and Napopolassar sacked Harran. The Assyrians and Egyptians attempted to retake the region, but their siege failed. From this point on the Assyrians and their king disappear from history.]

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/cuneiform_fall_of_nineveh.aspx

[Cuneiform tablet with part of the Babylonian Chronicle (605-594 BC)

Following the defeat of the Assyrians (as described in the Chronicle for 616-609 BC), the Egyptians became the greatest threat to the Babylonians. In 605 Nebuchadnezzar, the Babylonian crown prince, replaced his father Nabopolassar as commander-in-chief and led the army up the Euphrates to the city of Charchemish. There he defeated the Egyptians. Later that year Nabopolassar died and Nebuchadnezzar returned to Babylon to be crowned.]

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/cuneiform_nebuchadnezzar_ii.aspx

Also from the British Museum- [a clay cylinder is inscribed in Babylonian cuneiform with an account by Cyrus, king of Persia (559-530 BC) of his conquest of Babylon in 539 BC and capture of Nabonidus, the last Babylonian king.]

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/cyrus_cylinder.aspx

So from the British Museum we have the above showing that the Babylonian Empire ruled as the third world power starting in 609 (the Assyrian Empire ended) with Nabopolassar and continued to be the third world power until 539 when the Babylonian Empire came to its end with the death of Belshazzar and the surrender of Nabonidus by and to the Medes and the Persians.

(609-539=70 years) compared to the WTS (629-539=90 years)

[IP1 p.253 21 Isaiah goes on to prophesy: “It must occur in that day that Tyre must be forgotten seventy years, the same as the days of one king.” (Isaiah 23:15a) Following the destruction of the mainland city by the Babylonians, the island-city of Tyre will “be forgotten.” True to the prophecy, for the duration of “one king”—the Babylonian Empire—the island-city of Tyre will not be an important financial power. Jehovah, through Jeremiah, includes Tyre among the nations that will be singled out to drink the wine of His rage. He says: “These nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years.” (Jeremiah 25:8-17, 22, 27) True, the island-city of Tyre is not subject to Babylon for a full 70 years, since the Babylonian Empire falls in 539 B.C.E. Evidently, the 70 years represents the period of Babylonia’s greatest domination—when the Babylonian royal dynasty boasts of having lifted its throne even above “the stars of God.” (Isaiah 14:13) Different nations come under that domination at different times. But at the end of 70 years, that domination will crumble.]

The IP1 stated that the 70 years represents the period of time of Babylon’s greatest domination. It makes no mention of it being 90 years. In fact it clearly states that the 70 years mentioned through Jeremiah was in regards to the period of Babylonia’s greatest domination. Babylon’s greatest domination period would have been when Babylon defeated Assyria that was then the 2 nd ruling world power and now Babylon became the new 3 rd ruling world power. The IP1 also stated that the 70-year period of time is said to have ended in 539, which would have to mean that it begun in 609.

Jeremiah 25:12“‘And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against that nation,’ is the utterance of Jehovah,

Jehovah said he was going to call Babylon to account when 70 years had been fulfilled.

[8-1-81 WT “The idol-worshiping Babylonians now were in line for God’s judgment to be executed upon them. That happened in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon was overthrown by the Medes and the Persians.”]

(539+70=609)

• Londo111
    Londo111

GoUnion: let us know how it went. The real heart of the matter behind all this research, as technical as some of it may be, is people and relationships and lives.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I placed a simple one here on my site: http://www.x-j-w.org/read-the-bible/

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

Not well londo... Not encouraging at all. I asked my father this week how his research has went and he said he was busy with the c.o. at his house(the c.o. is staying in my old bedroom lol) and has not done anything in depth. He said he and my mother have looked at the wt articles again and they are confident this is the truth.

it looks like I won't be making any headway soon. He has invested his whole life to this organization I think the idea of leaving or being cast out terrifies him.

im disappointed he won't look at the misquoted references but I think that is the cult mentality taking over. It's a damn shame though.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

He said he and my mother have looked at the wt articles again and they are confident this is the truth.

But he hasn't looked at how they misused references? Then how can he verify whether your objections have any validity or not?

Do not get embroiled in any other controversy they might want to bring up. If they try to goad or guilt you into coming back to meetings, repeat what you said in your OP - you cannot trust the GB because they misrepresent scholarly sources. The ball is in their court to prove you wrong. If they don't want to even try and 'correct' or 'readjust' your thinking on this by examining your evidence (hey, your salvation is at stake! Act hurt at their apparent lack of care), then it's end of discussion. Make your dad feel ashamed that he has not done what he said he would do (OP: "He didn't believe that the watchtower would do this, but he said he would look it up.").

• Londo111
    Londo111

Perhaps give him something small or concrete to research, a specific question or point. Plant one seed of thought at a time.

If he has grounded himself, for instance, in the 2010 articles--perhaps the question of whether VAT 4956 points to a year where Nissan 1 began in May as the footnotes claim. However, in line 16, VAT 4956 shows the summer solstice began on the 9th day of the 3rd month. By counting backwards, one can come to the beginning of the Babylonian year.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

I am a baby boomer. My Mom still has encyclopedia's from when I was younger. So they are approx. over 40 yrs. old. So, I wanted to know when Jerusalem was destroyed.....& being that the org. quotes the Encyclopedia in some of their literature, I thought I would look it up...it says...586....

So who is lying, Encyclopedia or the ORG....

I would love to go to Jerusalem & find out for myself. Isn't there a place in Jerusalem, that anyone can write to to ask ? I'm just saying...Go to the source.

Legacy

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

GoUnion - Your father sounds like a sincere person - who values truth

above any "organization" you are so right to proceed with some plan

and the research is out there form the British Museum and

from Jewish sources as well. This may be the "crack in the dike"

that will lead to his release from that governing body worshipping cult.

Have you yourself read Crisis of Conscience ? If not please read it.

It will especially, speak the "language" your father understands.

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

Hi villagegirl. my initial enthusiasim for my fathers research has now been hindered by his belief to solely trust the society's "scholars". I can't be too mad at him I was the same way at one point in my life. He doesnt see anything wrong with the organization I hope his viewpoint will change at some point.

I own CoC it is a wonderful book written by someone who unfortuantly gave up so much for false ideas, I hope to never make that mistake again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit