BACH PARTITAS FOR SOLO VIOLIN

by hamsterbait 19 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have gotten soooo fed up of trying to sift my way through HUNDREDS of items on amazon, that I am now sick to death, and wishing JSB were never even born (may Almighty God forbid) - please note my posy reference to Islamic Philosophy:)

I want a GOOD recording of the Bach Partitas for solo violin played by a really good musician on a BAROQUE violin with good stylistic training.

Any takers??

make a Hamster happy :(

• ateograciasadios
    ateograciasadios

Hi Hamster,

I am a baroque cellist and viola da gamba player, so I am glad to know you are looking into 'performance practice' or 'period' recordings. Have you listened to Andrew Manze, John Holloway, and Rachel Podger? For some reason, British players seem to lead, at least in European recording labels. I am not sure Elizabeth Walffisch has a recording of the Bach partitas, but her playing is also very good. Or perhaps an Italian player like Giuliano Carmignola? I think he is both a modern and baroque player.

In any case, I would be interested to know if you already had these recordings, or what you think about them.

Happy listening!

• Terry
    Terry

My question is sort of content neutral.

Why would a lousy recording be financed and distributed?

Who determines what a "good" perfomrance is?

Glenn Gould (on piano, of course) completely redefined Bach on two occasions. This meant he did things

entirely different from the accepted "correct" approach.

Why does anybody think there is a "best" in art performance?

Okay--that's all.

• Finkelstein
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

If you are willing to be a little more open minded, guitarist Julian Bream recorded many of Bach's pieces. Obviously it's not on a violin, but his musicality is impeccable!

• Finkelstein
  • hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Terry -

It never fails to amaze me how many lousy recordings are out there.

Flaccid performances of Don Giovanni, hideously bashy renderings of the Goldberg Variations, mechanical harpsichord playing (Trevor Pinnock's version of JSBs keyboard partitas springs to mind) emotionless Webern... The hideously fast performance of the G major prelude in bk II of the 48 by Gould.

Both youtubes are nicely played, the one of Hilary turns a piece which to me is about drama into a two hanky job, with far too much vibrato, and the E major Gavotte is sweetly pretty, a word used by Bach to mock the operas so fashionable in the mid 18th cent. (Remember this was a guy who was cocky and cheeky to his teachers at school, and could have a fight in the town square)

Good playing is very much in the ear of the listener, which is why I am asking around.

I have Segovia playing them on guitar, and Perlman - he could just play open strings and I would be transported. I have John Holloway playing Corellis op 5, with excellent keyboard accompaniment.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Hamster bait, do you play violin or any musical instrument yourself?

Although I cannot play a performance quality rendition of that Bach Partita no. 3 that Hahn played I can appreciate the beauty of her rendition of it and also find myself wanting to go get out my music and go into the 'Bach Zone'. There is nothing to me more fulfilling than working through a Sarabande OR Partita Or any other thing BACH! I may never be great with it but it is a 'place' a musician can escape to and brings more satisfaction than anything else I do in my ordinary mundane existence.

Unless you can play yourself I don't think you should be so hard on these musicians. The bowed instruments are the most difficult instruments to master IMO.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Oh, about the picture in my avatar.....taken about 15 years ago and was cutting loose on not Bach but probably Tom Petty or the Stones. I have very eclectic taste in music but as I said, the music of Bach is my true medicine ; )

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

fiddler - I am a professional musician, have performed a lot over the years, Brandenburg 5 All the other Bach keyboard concertos and Mozart. I play figured bass with ensembles accompany recitals and arrange music. I have been playing the violin and piano for forty-three years, and the harpsichord for thirty odd.

Now I am getting on, I want to do baroque violin, which is a different technique to the classical tradition i learned at Uni. (against the will of God - elduhs rather) Thats why I am looking for advice on good performances in that style.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit