Critique of new JW DVD: “These Words Must be on Your Heart.”

by WingCommander 41 Replies latest jw friends

• doneandout
    doneandout

1.) Intro

I noticed the dvd was enlish only, past dvds were bilingual.

3.) 2:18 - Daughter Rebecca got "caught up" in school activities

Since when were kids allowed to attend after school activities?

Also the youngest kid had a cellphone, none at my hall do at that age.

5.) 3:13 - Get a load of this kitchen! Has to cost at least $50,000.00 USD. Since when do normal JW's live in this kind of home? I am STUNNED.

Not counting another kitchen in the basement not actively being used (the dad didn't even know the sink was leaking)

9.) 8:55 - Working on your car in meeting clothes with Elder? Give me a break!

I was waiting for his tie to get cought in something.

13.) 11:22 - Daughter Rebecca has a 2-door convertible Mazda Miata,

I thought it was a proche.

23.) 23:00 - At least the reaction to the ultra-lame new Song Book is spot on!

They are in luck, I cant name any of the new songs like the daughter did.

Also a plug for the website too.

24.) 27:30 – Rebecca is made to feel inferior and guilty for even talking to a boy.

While the dad questions on what are his options on bible based stuff. Duh, just meet him yourself and ask!

31.) 40:30 – We finally get rid of Elder Moocher.

At this point I realized that the elder is also in the jc video where they df for sins he came in to confess to.

33.) 45:00 – The ultimatum by the father. Incredible. What he failed to mention,

Or realized for someone leaving how hard it would be to comply to.

34.) 46:00

The kid has his own cellphone, a ipod, a tablet, a notebook, and a hd tv... yeah, they got cash to spare.

35.) 48:00 – Here we find out about Thomas’ little brother, who he killed in a car wreck due to his own youthful stupidity, and that of his parents for letting a 16-yr old have a 1969 Camaro 302.

Yet he then lets his own daughter have her own sporty car, I guess he never really did learn.

39.) 57:50 – Husband whips up an expense report on a notepad on the patio.

If they had so much debt, why did they let the elder (willing to pay) to stay rent free?

42.) 1:04

I stopped watching, the point was made, dont leave the wt

• b00mslang
    b00mslang

Pure fantasy.

The dad was a wooden/two-dimensional hack. The mom was fairly attractive, but seemingly simple (particulary for a senior manager or junior exec).

The son and daughter were, in my experience, probably not going to have an epiphany as was portrayed. Nothing in the narrative would have returned the son's cognitive Genies to their bottles. He would have to pretend to "unlearn" things. The daughter would have probably been in her second trimester, by the time the elder moved into their basement, and she would have been "showing".

This was pure, religious fantasy in the vein of the Morgan Brittany flick "The Prodigal" and it pulled out all the stops to be a production that mimics typical religious fare.

I can't remember too much about "The Prodigal", but I do recall that Morgan Brittany was pretty babalicious back then.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Towards the end of the movie Jesus was mentioned as part of an quotation. Jesus said or something along that line...

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Out in the good ol' days doing street WITNESSING not playing at being a book shelf next to an apathy trolley:

Gofor: I am a Christian. Are you a Christian?

jDub: No, I am a Jehovah's Witness.

Gofor: Euww - they are horrible!

I kid you not!!

• steve2
    steve2

Wing commander's review took flight - what a nice ride. Thanks!

• dozy
    dozy

Nice critique. I've only watched the first 10 minutes of the video but I kind of got the gist.

As others have said - it just shows what an American focused religion the WTBTS is. I live in the UK & occasionally we got challenged by people saying that it was an "American religion" & I used to deny it. But once I ran into a guy who knew what he was talking about and he just fired a load of questions that I couldn't deflect.

"What nationality are your leaders? Where is your head office? What nationality was your founder and your presidents? Can I see your bible - it says here "Produced by Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania - where's that? " I left feeling completely defeated.

• Melchisedek
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Great critique!!! I wasn't really going to watch it anyway but now I know what it's about.

• Bells
    Bells

And this whole loving and blessed story is based on a Deuteronomy verse. Such love!

Isn't another Deuteronomy scripture the one where if a man rapes a virgin then the rapist has to pay the father some silver and marry her?

As well as if a woman is raped and doesn't scream, then she is guilty of fornication and should be put to death?

As well as the one about any man having his testicles removed must not enter the house of God? (Hope no Witnesses ever get Testicular cancer!)

As well as the one about any person who is born of a forbidden marriage, regardless of how many 'generations' away, not allowed to enter also.

Deuteronomy in my opinion contains some of the most discgusting passages in the bible. This is 'cherry picking' verses at his finest - or worst, depending on your point of view.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I clicked the youtube link:

"These Words... Mus..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit