Draw Close to Jehovah book study this week- Jesus is not YHWH

by bruh2012 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

Based on this weeks Congregation bible study in the "Draw Close to Jehovah" book, Jesus is not YHWH from what you read in Prov. 8:22-32. Unless there it is a hebrew word snafu - At least verses 22, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31 speaks of two people.

Correct?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Not even the trinity doctrine says Jesus is YHWH.

The WT has its own definition, to create a straw man fallacy.

As used by the RC God is a description and a title, not a name. So Jesus is God, not YHWH, or the Holy Spirit.

So yes those verses are speaking of two people- as is Hebrews 1 where YHWH addresses Christ:"your throne oh God is to time indefinite."

Also the verse where YHWH says speaking of himself: "and they will look to me the one whom they pierced" yet it is Christ that was pierced. (In case you are wondering theNWT omits the ME in this.) Two persons again.

• Laika
    Laika

Actually hamsterbait the Trinity doctrine does say Jesus is YHWH. There are a few NT scriptures which quote OT scriptures about YHWH and apply them to Jesus (Romans 10:13 the most obvious). The Trinity doctrine does say Jesus is not the Father, but the Father alone is not YHWH.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Ignorance by Laika. Fallen for the old heresy of Sabellianism, erroneously believing that YHWH is Jesus. Even the Roman Catholic Church rejects this heresy.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Fourth Lateran Council, as quoted in the Catechism.

• designs
    designs

Seems to be the usual differences by Christians retrofitting their theology on the OT and who was God.

• Laika
    Laika

I am not ignorant. Trinitarian theology does say that Jesus is Yahweh. This is not the same as saying Jesus is the Father. Yahweh is not a name reserved exclusively for the Father according to Trinitarian doctrine. 'Even the Roman Catholic Church' would say that the point of Jesus 'I am' statement in John was that he was claiming to be YHWH.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Ah, it is dawning on me: are we using YHWH as the term for the Godhead, or in the way JW s use it as personal name for the Father, Jehovah, just as Jesus is the personal name for the Son?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If bruh22 was using YHWH in the JW way, then he is correct that the scriptures quoted show that the Father is not the Son.

• Laika
    Laika

Hi hamsterbait, I was using it as the term for the Godhead. I am not sure that the Trinity doctrine is generally obvious in the NT, but there are verses which apply to Jesus statements about Jehovah from the OT, which is a big problem for JW christology. That is the point I wanted to make.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit