Harry Pothead

by Strangelove 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX
    someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX

"I guess my Question is, is Harry Potter any good? I'm an avid reader, and wonder if I should just read the books first. Than start the films. (In private of course, my family would have a hissy fit.)"

Have you started yet? I'd say read first, then films...most books should be done that way for the best affect :) Especially cuz the HP films leave alot of the good stuff out...lotz more humor in the books than the films, imo.

I read all 7 in a crazy bing effort a couple of years ago here at work, much like yourself - to see what the hype was about. Enjoyed them, but they are geared towards teenagers and the younger crowd ;) I'm mid 30s, but still enjoyed them. I've read LOTR as well.

I will say that HP is a good series to read while learning a new language, like myself. It's not too difficult, and as the books progress the language level is slightly increased.

Hope you enjoy them.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I read HP but didn't really care for them. I found them too formulaic.

Try Neil Gaiman's Sandman or Garth Ennis's The Preacher if you don't mind something in comic-book form.

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

I am 26 years old, and I am seriously considering rereading the Harry Potter series. I think the books are a lot better than the movies; the movies leave out a lot of the funny bits and add stuff that wasn't in the books. I think the books are actually quite well written.

Sometimes, because we weren't really allowed to be kids, there is nothing wrong with taking an interest in some of the things we missed out on.

Also, if you decide you want to read something that is more adult that has magic, you might like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. It has a lot of humour in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit