John 1:1-18

by Doug Mason 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Bobcat - Or may be wisdom is setting it ?

causing you to think before you speak : )

• snowbird
    snowbird

@Bobcat

I know a blow to the head I received in a vehicle accident in 2008 is the cause of my "gaps."

@Village Girl

I have the Complete Jewish Bible in my FAVORITES.

I just love it!

• QC
    QC

Koine Greek NT vs Sahidic Comptic NT

Unlike the Koine Greek NT text use of only definite articles, the Sahidic Coptic NT text uses both definite and indefinite articles to differentiate, in the same way English grammar uses definite and indefinite articles to differentiate. John 1:1b, the god, definite article, “ p. ” ( the ), expresses singular identity of a person or thing; while John 1:1c uses a god, where the indefinite article “ u. ” ( a ) differentiates, emphasizing character, nature, essence or quality of a person or thing.

John 1:1, Sahidic Coptic NT text, 2 nd century AD:

(John 1:1a)

ϨΝ ΤЄϨ ΟΥЄΙΤЄ ΝЄϤϢΟΟΠ ΝϬΙ ΠϢΑϪЄ

Hn te.houeite ne.f.shoopngi p.shaje

In the beginning was the word

εν αρχή ην ο λόγος

(John1:1b)

ΑΥШ ΠϢΑϪЄ ΝЄϤϢΟΟΠ ΝΝΑϨΡΜ ΠΝΟΥΤЄ

Auw p.shaje ne.f.shoop n.nahrm p. noute (Transliteration)

And the word was in the presence of the god

και ο λόγος ην προς τον θεόν (Koine Greek)

(John 1:1c)

ΑΥШ ΝЄΥΝΟΥΤЄ ΠЄ ΠϢΑϪЄ

Auw ne. u. noute pe p.shaje (Transliteration)

And was a god is the word

και θεός ην ο λόγος (Koine Greek)

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Villagegirl,

That Orthodox Jewish Bible is most interesting! I will have to look into it. Especially as it uses the Divine Name (Hashem). And the way that it references the Hebrew Bible - Isaiah, Genesis and Psalms; have you looked at these references they give?

Wow, that is a most fascinating find.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Bobcat,

Thank you for that find. I will have a very close look at it.

People like you are a great resource and help.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Villagegirl,

I found the Orthodox Jewish Bible at:

http://www.afii.org/OJB.pdf

where it is possible to download the complete book.

This is a bit bewildering at the moment. Obviously this requires some research.

Thanks,

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Bobcat,

I located that book and it certainly provides an exhaustive analysis. Thanks,

Doug

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Doug:

In my haste to type the material in, I forgot to give the full source. I guess I shouldn't assume that everyone could figure out "BECNT." (Although it does seem you did.)

For anybody else who might want to take a look at this, BECNT stands for Baker Exegetical Commentary of the New Testament. (This is the volume on the gospel of John.) The material I referenced above was from pages 20 & 21. The book is chock full of additional references in the footnotes. The preview at Google books includes this section. See here. (Use the right and left arrows just after "Front Cover" to scroll down to page 19 and on. This is where it discusses the prologue.)

Take Care

Bobcat

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thank you Bobcat,

I used that site to create for myself a searchable PDF.

It brings up another thought: given the way in which, at ch 21:31, the John Gospel returns to its opening, I wonder if it would be possible to create a multi-level chiastic analysis of the whole Gospel. Not right now for me, unless someone has done it already. I'll have a look at the commentary on by Leon Morris that I have, but I seriously doubt it. Neither do I think that Spong looks at the chiasms in his consideration of the Gospel. I will have to look some other time.

Doug

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Doug:

I think pages 9 - 13 of the BECNT commentary may be a good starting point for what you are looking for. It shows the book of John from both a literary and a chronological format. There is a literary structure to it. But I don't think it could work into one large chiasmus.

By the way, note footnote 22 on the bottom of page 11. This is why I started this thread some time back.

Bobcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit