is going to a strip club a disfellowshipping offense?

by monis1 44 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

DJS

I don't doubt your words, or that this happens. I think in really big cities, perhaps at times. I live in a city of just over 1/2 million people, and it's small town compared to NYC or Miami, etc.

Yes, single moms supporting their child(ren) and making good money - I'm all for that, and sad though, that is the only 'value' they hold in our society. Yes, women working their way through college - I do believe it happens.

I was being *very* opinionated, and that is very strong on a screen. I should have tempered it, and known that it was a bit too vehement.

You're right, and I'm conceding that a small percentage of strippers (and I refuse to use the sanitized term 'exotic dancers') are the above. Thing is, I haven't seen it here, and I do truly think that it is a very small percentage - even those women are being exploited and earning money (enough money) for what they need.

Why can't a file clerk support her child as a single mom? Why does she have to give men sexual pleasure to have a decent life? That's all. It hurts my heart. and I have known enough people in the 'life' to say that women rarely enjoy these jobs.

Thanks for your kind and tempered reply, and once again, I didn't think you were making things up. My apologies.

xx

tal

• DJS
    DJS

Tal,

Stippers are exploited at times; I'm well aware of that. But I've noticed that the younger generation is 'fighting' back in their own way. If a girl can take her clothes off, be proud of it, stay away from drugs and the sex trade, and make killer cash to pay for school or baby, I think that is an empowering thing for women. A lot of them can and do. Some succumb to the dark side I'm sure. I know a lot, I mean my best friend tells me about a lot, who stay clean and pay the bills. And they are proud of it. Stripping isn't going away; it is here to stay. If the girls involved in it can empower themselves to use it to make money for a degree or a living, then it is no different than waiting tables or working as an accountant. And that's they way it should be.

• talesin
    talesin

We can disagree on that. And that's okay!

I know it's not gonig away. We have different definitions of 'exploitation', but I don't discuss feminist theory on this board, only in real ilfe. I am happy your friend is safe, and glad she is empowered. Does she tell everyone she is a stripper, with pride? Do those college girls do the same (including their grandpartents, etc.)? Okay, damn, I have to STFU! I am incorrigible when it comes to this stuff.

Okay, take care!

tal

• twice shy
    twice shy

Yes you can, but consider it Personal warfare; Yours. Confession on a need to know basis only. It's that person's business not anyone elses.

If ever called on it, be sure to reassure them you had to witness at their place of employment as they sleep during unconventional hours.

As Paul admonished, become all things to all people. Just try and keep yourself clean.

• DJS
    DJS

So Tal,

You've been to strip clubs, huh? I've taken a number of women to strip clubs. Major fun. I have lots of stories. I'm not a woman and won't attempt to describe what I think is empowering to them, but I've listened to a few (when I wasn't staring) and, although stripping might not be the perfect job in a perfect world, it pays the bills. Any work is deserving of dignity and honor, including stripping. I didn't make the rules. Stripping isn't going away, so what would you/I/us do about it? Teach your children well, and then rely on them to make good decisions. If a girl chooses to be a stripper, then be the best damn stripper you can be and make as much money as possible while taking care of yourself. If it is a temporary 'position,' (pun intended), then make the most of it and have a plan. That's no different than any other transitional or beginning employment.

Are they 'proud' of it? They might be if society would stop being so judgmental. So many in this area have stripped for so long at the same clubs that I can't create a scenario whereby they are being victimized or exploited really. And yes, lots of them have family who know what they do. Otherwise, I can't answer if they are proud. It is their choice. And have you ever seen a stripper work to get money out of your pocket? Who is exploiting whom? As for me, I treat strippers in the exact manner I treat everyone else I enounter in the working world, with dignity and respect. So let's hear your stories. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit