Do you even listen to yourself?

by doneandout 9 Replies latest jw friends

• doneandout
    doneandout

The other night, the elder was getting us ready for our convention. As I sat there, I was thinking, 'do you even listen to yourself?' Everything thing he said, said its going to suck.

Bring a hat: Its going to be sunny, prepared to get sunburned.

Bring plenty of water: Its going to be hot and sweaty.

Parking is going to be bad: Prepare to walk a mile to the site.

Bring a fm radio: Its going to be echoy inside.

Afterwards he said that jehovah will bless us for going. Ha! I felt sick just thinking about all the planning needed for just being at the site alone.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

"Listen, Obey, and be Stressed""....... sing along.............tum de dum tum de dum.....

• forest heathen
    forest heathen

When I was in, I was spoiled. We attended in Houston TX ... in the ASTRODOME!!! We had to walk a couple of miles from parking to The Dome. Then we had to walk some more up the ramps to our assigned area. I always wore comfortable flats and I don't mind walking at all.

Other than that, we sat in AC comfort with excellent sound to hear every word. Since my hubby was a servant and always had a job and I was got cleaning detail, we were always there early and left late. So we managed to avoid the parking lot arrival/departure rush hour.

We were married in the summer so we spent a few anniversaries at the convention. The years we didn't, we never had vacation time or money left over do do anything for ourselves.

Glad those days are over.

~ Forest Heathen

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

And every dub in attendance will talk afterwards about how great it was without being able to recite a single point that made it great, or in any way differen't than the countless that have come before it.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Welcome, forest heathen! Did your husband make it out too?

• freddo
    freddo

@ The Searcher, who said/sang ... "Listen Obey and be Stressed"

Brilliant!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

No they don't listen to themselves.

The conversations only make sense when they are surrounded by people who say the same things day in and day out.

To an outsider, they look like total idiots.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Can you even begin to imagine the revulsion of any public person who unwittingly attends a JW convention? After about 3 hours they would be thinking WTF??? Then running to the nearest exit. Probably very similar to the poor householders who actually show up at the Memorial or Special Talk because of an 'invitation' left by a door to door drone. They probably pinch themselves in order to see if they are in some sort of sick and twisted bad dream.

• oppostate
    oppostate

From one convention to another the one thing that does stay with me has nothing to do with talks or dramas, it has to do with how stressful it was to arrange to be there and go through each day to be physically and mentally exhausted on Monday from the mind numbing and the directions to obey all weekend long.

Stress it my number one memory from attending each and every single event that's supposed to be a spiritual "holiday".

• MissFit
    MissFit

Doneandout: did you get the standard how to behave lecture also?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit