Wearing a wire

by Hairtrigger 21 Replies latest forum suggestions

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

not to be a killjoy, but aren't there laws against that in a lot of states?

Not sure if it matters to you, but I'd hate to give them any actual ammo against you.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Regarding "wearing a wire" rather than simply recording the meeting an interesting thing could happen:

When the chairman asks, "Are you recording this?" The person could simply say "No." And be entirely truthful. This is because if you are transmitting audio to another location (say your car in the parking lot) then a friend could be seated inside and be recording it...

And voila they are not lying!

• flowerfreaks2
    flowerfreaks2

Who cares if you lie..... did'nt they lie to us for years????

• talesin
    talesin

Just a heads-up for Canadians who may wish to tape their JC, or any other conversation in which they are one of the parties conversing.

In Canada, it is legal to tape a conversation, as long as you are one of the parties involved in the conversation.

ie, I could tape a conversation between me, Ray Publisher and Fernando, without their knowledge, because I am a participant in that conversation.

I could NOT legally tape a conversation between Ray Publisher and Fernando if I was eavesdropping.

I know this varies from State to State in the USA, and in other countries, so just speaking for Canadian law.

xx

tal

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Tal:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding for Canada was that if there are only 2 people conversing privately, then the recording needs to be disclosed to make it a legal recording, but if there are more than 2 people conversing, disclosure is not required.

(Hence, elders in pairs or more, whether in person or on speakerphone. )

• talesin
    talesin

BerryGerry,

Nope. I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't say it if I wasn't sure.

If you and I are talking on the phone, I can tape it without letting you know.

But don't take my word for it. Never take anyone's word for anything, especially online, that's my motto. I'll see if I can find it in the gov't websites (oy, if I go missing, come looking! hehe) and get the proof, no prob.

:)

tal

PS. Berry, hmmm.... I won't ask any questions, but I'm from the Maritimes. :)

• talesin
    talesin

Found this, and the url seems to be a legit legal resource. There's more detail, of course, but I excerpted one of the introductory paras.

url: http://www.legaltree.ca/node/908

The Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 [Criminal Code] imposes a general prohibition on interception (recording) of private communications, but then provides an exception where one of the parties to the private communication consents to the interception of that communication. Thus, broadly speaking, Canadians can legally record their own conversations with other people, but not other peoples' conversations that they are not involved in.

[bold and underlining are mine]

tal

• talesin
    talesin

PS. There are different rules for the Police - they are 'intercepting' calls, and have stricter guidelines.

(But in reality, we know that Big Brother can, of course, with the new anti-terrorism laws, listen in any time he wants, and we have no say in the matter.)

• LogCon
    LogCon

Talesin is correct in that a person may record their own conversation in Canada.

Technically you can tape a conversation with the permission of one of the participants of the conversation. Therefore, if you are present and recording, you are the one giving permission to yourself.

Interestingly, if I were to put a recording device somewhere on a person who, for example, was going to attend a Judicial Committee meeting, and I were to start the device, I would be the one doing the recording. He/she could answer truthfully that they were not recording the conversation. They would be the one who was granting me permission to record.

This applies right across the whole country, however, in the Untied States each state has separate laws. In some states you need the permission of everyone in attendance.

You could also connect by cell phone to another party and they could record from their end. This also would allow a person to truthfully say that they are not recording the conversation. The phone would have to be positioned discreetly.

I am all for recording EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE. Too many slimy people deny, forget and fabricate.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If you are the one being targeted in this sham meeting of a JC, you have the right to do whatever you need to!

You are not 'allowed' to have a witness present on your side, but they can have three elders...so the least you can do is record it !

It will protect both yourself and them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit