Objectivity and This Site

by Eutapro 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Eutapro
    Eutapro

I must say that as a neutral scientific observer of this site--it seems that things are kind of one-sided here. I thought this was a board with both devout jws and ex-jws on it. On further reflection it appears that this medium of communication should probably be called ex-jw.com. Hey it is your choice what you want to call it. But objectivity and openness are important for us intellectual academics.

Yours
    Eu

• detective
    detective

A scientific observer? Mmmmm. Okay.

If you have time, please check out this site www.purelanguage.net and let me know if you think it's biased or not.

For that matter, do you think Watchtower magazines are unbiased?

Hmmmmmm.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi eutapro,

we have open minds,......that's why we left the jw cult.
    their "truth" does not stand up to scrutiny........jws are welcome to show us how we are wrong, but if you read any jw comments, you will see that they cannot defend their believes without telling lies.

do you call it "one sided" if a professional fighter knocks out his apponent in the first round?.......should it be a tie?

• ballistic
    ballistic

They have over 6 million members and they are always welcomed here with open arms.

• Eutapro
    Eutapro

You may have open minds. That is great. Yet an objective approach to any religious subject will be based on reason and method--not on emotion or sentiment.

I guess I think the presentation on this forum is one-sided since there are surely some good and bad aspects of jw belief and practice that we could focus on. That is what I meant.

The site you mention is probably not unbiased. Nor are wt magazines. Bias is a complex topic itself. But could you be falling into the same trap that you criticize the wt for? People on this site speak as if what they say is unequivocally true without qualification. People in my field are sceptical about this idea. Perception can be a tricky thing. Things are not always so clear-cut.

Yours
    Eu

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Well, as the fundamental reality of the JW cult is to shun "apostates" and to avoid those "speaking against the truth," it's hardly a big mystery why you don't see lots of "devout" JW's here. This is exactly the kind of forum that are warned to avoid (should tell you something, no?).

• herbert
    herbert

I sense another troll. The real reason that there are few JWs here is that they are unable to defend their "faith." Since the day sof H2O they have a 100% failure rate for a track record. They are demolished in every argument in which they enter with the object of defending the WTS.

Given that, it's not surprising that the only serious posters are exJws and that the WT's defenders are trolls, and often lying ones at that.

And that is a fact that can be determined objectively by doing your homework, oh mighty intellectual one, Eutapro.

herbert

• AlanF
    AlanF

Eutapro said:

: I must say that as a neutral scientific observer of this site--it seems that things are kind of one-sided here. I thought this was a board with both devout jws and ex-jws on it. On further reflection it appears that this medium of communication should probably be called ex-jw.com. Hey it is your choice what you want to call it. But objectivity and openness are important for us intellectual academics.

Your phraseology suggests that you are far from an "intellectual academic" and "a neutral scientific observer". Such a person would not have to have explained to him or her that typical Internet discussion boards are open and free affairs that make no attempt to be objective, academic or intellectual. They're comprised of a wide variety of individuals with different interests and objectives in posting. Only a heavily moderated board, or one whose membership is heavily screened and whose objectives are clearly stated, can be what you suggest.

On what basis did you conclude that perhaps "this was a board with both devout jws and ex-jws on it"? Certainly not on the basis of observation. Had you actually observed conversations here for long enough to form a valid opinion, you would have seen that there are only a tiny number of JWs who post from time to time, most of whom are not at all representative of the typical JW who is deathly afraid of the Internet.

Your comments indicate that, far from being a neutral observer, you're here to stir the pot and see what turns up. This gives the lie to your comment that "objectivity and openness are important for us intellectual academics", since it's obvious that you're neither objective, open, intellectual, nor an academic.

AlanF

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Funny, I never thought that an open DB needed to have a curriculum based on objectivity and method. To me, an open community is a place to discuss ideas and talk about various subjects.

JWs are certainly welcome to post here, but if they decide that their posts will contain information that "proves" that they have the "truth" and that "proves" that we are all degenerate fools, then their posts will be challenged....most likely in a fervent manner.

• Eutapro
    Eutapro

[Well, as the fundamental reality of the JW cult is to shun "apostates" and to avoid those "speaking against the truth," it's hardly a big mystery why you don't see lots of "devout" JW's here. This is exactly the kind of forum that are warned to avoid (should tell you something, no?).]

I will not belabor this point. It just seems that a site supposedly for "apostates" would label itself ex-jw.com instead of jw.com. But that is the owner's business I guess. The title just caught me unawares since I thought there would be an opporunity to communicate with both jws and ex-jws on this board.

[Given that, it's not surprising that the only serious posters are exJws and that the WT's defenders are trolls, and often lying ones at that.

And that is a fact that can be determined objectively by doing your homework, oh mighty intellectual one, Eutapro.]

I am doing my homework, sir. While I am an intellectual--I would not consider myself a mighty intellectual. My dad always taught me to be humble in whatever I do. I am just interested in learning why people think and act in certain ways. This student has lots to learn.

Yours
    Eu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit