Classic Conditioning?

by Eutapro 13 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Eu,

I raised a question regarding the role of operant and classical conditioning on your other thread. I would be interested in your comments.

Now, is your interest in Behaviorism as a hobby or a part time endevear as a student, or are you a behaviorist? The reason I ask this, is because determinism is the basic underpinning of Behaviorism, and belief in determinism flys in the face of JW doctrine. Perhaps, you haven't thought this through yet.

If you want to read my comments on this subject, do a search at the top of the page on the word Determinism, where I had dialogue with a very bright JW defender.

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

Hildy/Mytsikook is back and speaking fine english. There must be a GOD!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Classic Conditioning? Wouldn't that be Prell conditioner? After all, it is over 25 years old so therefor should be considered a classic.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • Eutapro
    Eutapro

[What the website you point out suggests is that, under certain circumstances, classical conditioning can produce an operant behavior, essentially as a side effect. But the original response is still involuntary (e.g., the girl has a "fear reaction" on hearing the sound that she associates with seeing the rat). I can't think of a way that such a scenario would play out in terms of joining or leaving a religion.]

I do not think CC only or primarily deals with involuntary responses. It never can when we are considering the effect that variegated stimuli have on substances of a rational nature.

Pavlov's dogs are not rational substances or autonomous relations. Neither do they possess volitional liberty. Rational substances or metaphysical animals do have libertarian freedom. So Eu does not think that one can limit any type of conditioning to involuntary responses. Both types of conditioning involve voluntary responses based on the faculties of reason which conterminously interplay with volitional forces to react or avert from particular stimuli. My project is nascent and has a long way to go. But the ideas we are suggesting are revolutionary and could change the way the psychology of religion is practiced.

Yours
    Eu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit