Are Christians more or less likely to be in favour of stronger gun control than atheists?

by Seraphim23 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I have no agenda with this post, if anything I am suspecting the results will be against what I would want to hear as a Christian. However I’m asking the question as I am curious as to the results. My personal position is in favour of a total ban but I do live in the United Kingdom, however many of my friends live in the states. These two following questions are directed primarily towards anyone in the states!

The questions are these two:

Are Christians more or less likely to be in favour of stronger gun control than atheists?

Also:

Are atheists more or less likely to be in favour of a total ban on guns, except in the case for appropriate authorities than Christians?

At first, all I want as answers from anyone are what their position is and if they are an atheist or believer. Then perhaps we can widen out the discussion if need be.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You started out talking Christians vs Atheists. Then you end with are you an athiest or believer? Which are you comparing?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I’m not comparing them; I want to know if there is any correlation between the views on gun control depending on if one is a Christian or an atheist. For that I need people to tell me what their view is and what they are.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What if you are neither an athiest nor a Christian?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Im not asking them.

• designs
    designs

There are complete Pacifists who are atheists and believers in some diety, and the opposite is also true.

Che Guevara and Fidel Castro were atheists and very violent persons killing many people with guns. Then you have a Pete Seeger, atheist, and Pacifist.

Christians like Gov. Rick Perry are very pro-gun pro-death penalty, and Christians like Mr. Rogers, of the children's program fame, who became a complete Pacifist after serving in WWII.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

What is your view designs and are you an atheist or Christian?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am not a believer, and I am for gun control, but I am not for an out right ban. The reason I am against a ban is that it is unlikely to ever pass, and even if it did, how are you going to get rid of the millions of guns already owned? I also think the many recent cases of shootings is more of a mental health issue than a gun issue, but still, I think we need to have more control over who had weapons.

I would first like to see the gun control laws we have now enforced, A task force should be set up to determine what it will take to enforce current laws and funding should be allocated to make it happen.

Once that is done, I think we should move forward with true reform.

Owning a gun should not be an automatic right. Every gun owner should have to pass a gun safety class, a background check and be licenced, with biometric functionality, so no one but you can ever use your licience. There will be a licence fee to cover the cost of this. Every weapon should be licenced as well. All guns would be tracked from time of manufacture. All guns have a unique signature, microscopic imprints it leaves on every bullet that is fired. All weapons would be test fired at the factory and the markings entered into a database, so that if it is ever used in a crime it can be tracked back to the owner.

The manufacturer will be responsible for tracking every weapon that is made to the point it is sold to a dealer. Manufacturers who loose too many guns from manufacture to sales will loose their right to sell guns in this country. The government will audit the system to insure compliance and randomly plant tracking devices to make sure all guns are going where they should.

All new gun sales will be through a licenced dealer, the dealer will be responsible to verify all information and licences, and update the database in real time to reflect the new owner. If the gun is resold through a dealer, thy will be responsible for updating the database. Private sales will be verified by the dealer for a fee to cover the cost of verifying and updating the database. There will be at least one licenced dealer at all gun shows, who must have computer access to verify all information and update the database. Older guns will be grandfathered in until the system is running smoothly, then owners will have a grace period so we can slowly move towards 100% licencing.

There should be limits on how many guns a person can own. Nobody needs an arsenal in their home. A person who threatens suicide, or to kill another will have to immediately surrender all weapons until a psych evaluation and hearing to determine the likelihood they will harm themselves or others. I personally know of a case where a woman threatened to kill herself and her children. She was sent to the emergency room, but somehow talked her way out of it. Her husband (a former coworker of mine) was out of town working and knew nothing of it. She bought a gun the next day and shot her two boys in the head and killed herself. If a law like this was in place, the emergency room doctors would have flagged her gun licence, the police would have been notified to pick up any guns she already owned and it would have prevented her from buying a new one, even if she already had a licence. If you pass the psych evaluation, you will get your licence and gun back.

I am sure a system like this would greatly add to the cost of buying a gun, but I don't think that is a bad thing, and has to be balanced against the costs of so many senseless deaths, money spent on medical care for victims, and incarceration for those who commit crimes with cheap, readily available guns.

Of course all this will never happen until we all get fed up and start demanding it. The gun lobby is very well funded and powerful, it will be very difficult, but I believe it can be done.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

In China they have many mass killings done by knives.

On March 23, 2010, Zheng Minsheng (郑民生) [ 7 ] 41, murdered eight children with a knife in an elementary school in Nanping, [ 8 ] Fujian province.

April 2010 Leizhou, [ 11 ] Guangdong another knife-wielding man named Chen Kangbing, 33 (陈康炳) [ 12 ] at Hongfu Primary School wounded 16 students and a teacher

May 2010 An attacker named Wu Huanming (吴环明), 48, killed seven children and two adults and injured 11 other persons with a cleaver at a kindergarten in Hanzhong, Shaanxi on May 12, 2010

I could keep going but you get the point.

I propose the following on knife control.

Owning a knife should not be an automatic right. Every knife owner should have to pass a knife safety class, a background check and be licenced, with biometric functionality, so no one but you can ever use your licience. There will be a licence fee to cover the cost of this. Every knife should be licenced as well. All knives would be tracked from time of manufacture. All knives have a unique signature, microscopic imprints it leaves on every wound in the victim. All knives would be test stabbed at the factory and the markings entered into a database, so that if it is ever used in a crime it can be tracked back to the owner.

:)

• designs
    designs

Seraphim23- I am now an Atheist, having transversed from Believer to Agnostic to my present thoughts.

Like I tried to show in my examples either catagory has a wide range of beliefs on gun control and gun use. There is more statistical difference when countries are compared. Canada has a very low death by gun killing rate per capita compared to the USA. What makes the difference- religion? culture? economics? education? laws? attitude?

In the US the 2nd Amendment is misapplied and misinterpreted. Going to Target with a AK 47 slung over your shoulder is not 'a well regulated militia'.

As Bill Maher recently opined we have in this country "ammosexuals".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit