When did the JW adopt the "GB" practice?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Im discussing things online with people and I keep forgetting that they havent' always had the GB and that there was a time that it was just a President or whatever.

When did that change?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

1976 is when one was first formed under Knorr. Before that, JWs were ruled by a president and board of directors. The president had full say over doctrine.

Read this: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/governing-body.php

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thank You!!!

That's what I was wondering.

• jhine
    jhine

Is the fact that the GB was set up in 1976 , just after Armageddon did not arrive in Autumn 1975 a coincidence ?

Jan

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The Governing Body actually met for the first time in October of 1971. I well recall the 1973 "Divine Victory" International Assembly, during which some of the talks were given by Leo Greenlees - who was definitely introduced as "a member of the Governing Body". (Whether spelled with a capital G and a capital B or not I don't recall, and don't particularly care!)

However, until 1976, the Governing Body was nothing much more than an advisory panel. Nathan still ruled supreme until then!

Bill.

• VM44
    VM44

Now the GB has been identified as the "Faithful and Discreet Slave," replacing the Anointed Remnant on earth who used to be considered the FDS.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Now the GB has been identified as the "Faithful and Discreet Slave," replacing the Anointed Remnant on earth who used to be considered the FDS.

Whoa, wait.
    Huh???

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Is the fact that the GB was set up in 1976 , just after Armageddon did not arrive in Autumn 1975 a coincidence ?

Not thinking it was.
    Thanks for bringing that up.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Black Swan:

Whoa, wait. Huh???

-----

see W 7-15-13.

The "Faithful and Discreet Slave" is now exclusively the 7 member Governing Body.

All other 'anointed' are just "domestics" and not a part of the FDS.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I'm just blown away.

How bleeping convenient.

Thanks for that.

Going to look it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit