Are Jehovah's Witnesses a Cult? (alternate title: Balls, Cuts, and Dudes - Oh My!)

by cognisonance 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

Oh my... from their jw.org site:

No, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not a cult.

Nice rebuttal to the question. So the public then should just take your word for it... Let me ask another? Do you allow an environment where pedophiles can keep harming children? No? Okay thanks for telling me I feel so much better now...

Rather, we are Christians who do our best to follow the example set by Jesus Christ and to live by his teachings.

Please look up the term "non sequitur." Too much work you say? here I'll do it for you... Now hopefully you will not answer questions this way in the future. You're welcome!

What is a cult?

Oh, you want to define it I see. Let me guess your going to use the 2nd definition on Urban dictionary (something about balls, cuts, and dudes)? Shouldn't we first inquire what the asker of the question meant by the term cult? Specificity is important you know.

The term “cult” means different things to different people. However, consider two common perceptions regarding cults and why those perceptions don’t apply to us. [... 1) blah blah blah 2) okay... and?]

Okay so you just weeded out 2 of the MANY definitions for the word cult, and by the way what happens if you modify the last definition to be plural... "Some think of a cult as being a dangerous religious sect with a human leader[s]. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not look to any human[s] as their leader[s]." Ah... but you wouldn't choose that definition. Clever you huh?

But I'm pretty sure that you forgot to consider several other definitions. You know, the ones about groups that control access to information, develop an us versus them attitude, punish and discourage doubts and questions, claims a special, exalted status for itself, its leaders, uses guilt to control members, encourages or requires socialization with only other members, ask members to be ready to obey any direction even if it doesn't make sense... What about definitions that define a cult with these concepts. I’m pretty sure you missed addressing those. Hmm… I wonder why.

Far from being a dangerous cult, Jehovah’s Witnesses... helped many people to overcome harmful addictions , such as the abuse of drugs and alcohol. In addition, we conduct literacy classes around the world, helping thousands learn to read and write. And we are actively involved in disaster relief.

Wait a minute, we weren't done! You still haven't answered the question. But I see deflection is what you prefer doing.

Do you smell that? Something smells really fishy...

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well a cult has to put on a disguise.....

The identification mark of a cult,

can you wear the shirt of your choice?

Yes, Yes Yes

can you celebrate your birhday?

Yes Yes yes,

Honestly?

My birthday was the day i got baptised?

Do you disfellowship?

no.

Honestly?

Only for non- repentence and so they disfellowship themselfs.

Are you in a cult?

Of course not, we follow the bible. How about a bible study.

Ummmmmmm

Its difficult to talk or reason with a cult member.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The People's Temple could likewise claim that they helped people overcome addictions...and they did! They did lots of community service.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They are according to my definition of the word Cult.

But is that really of any importance ? maybe to those of us who have recently left, identifying them as such re-inforces just how correct our decision to leave was, but to get in to a discussion with a JW about semantics is a total waste of time.

If you wish to raise the matter of the very sinister methods they use, which are the same as most other cults, then simply mention other groups, what they do, and how they do it, and how terrible that is, and let that sink in.

Eventually, some time later, you can ask the question "If we (or "if JW's" if you ain't perceived as one) have the truth, is it necessary or even right to use such methods ?" (or substance thereof LOL).

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

In fact, there is no consensus on the definitions given to the words "cult" or "religion". But there is a consensus that the Jehovah's Witnesses organization is guilty of many cultic deviances.

http://www.watchtowerlies.com/faq_frequently_asked_questions_on_jehovah_s_witnesses.html

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Has there been any religion accused of being a cult that has admitted to being cult?

Seriously.....how many people have left the JW religion and now call it a cult? If it looks like a cult, sounds like a cult, and acts like a cult.....guess what people? It's a cult! No amount of clean cut JW appearance and slick words from their website is going to change the fact that the things you see, hear about, and the things JW's do & believe show the religion to be a cult.

• Heaven
    Heaven

If an organization you belong to tells you that you cannot have anything to do with your friends and family if they don't join the organization, then it is a cult.

If an organization prevents or discourages you from seeking life saving medical treatments, then that organization is a cult.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Honestly, I'm getting tired of this question.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

While this page about them not being a cult is hilarious and ridiculous, their page on on "Who was the founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses?" will have you laughing so hard, you will piss your knickers! According to them, Charles Russell did not found the Jehovah's Witnesses, it was .... Jesus Christ!

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/founder/

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If it walks like a cult and talks like a cult, it's a cult.

Jehovah's Witnessses - living in a state of denial for a hundred years

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit