Going to family outing with a bad JW

by TTWSYF 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I'm not a JW nor is my entire family save for my brother, his wife and kids.

We are celebrating our grandparents 50th anniversary.

One of my brother's kids is living with his girlfriend and as a result, the rest of his immediate {JW} family is shunning him.

What, if anything do you think that I could do or say to get his (JW) family to see how awful their behavior is?

I am asking for suggestions to get these people to think.

Thanks,

The Truth Will Set You Free

TTWSYF

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Could ask him if he has any idea how many people commit suicide due to being shunned. From my experience shunning is just something jdubs do but they don't really think about how truly awful this practice is.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

People are going to do what they are going to do, I would say treat this couple as if they were married,

obviously they don't want to make it all legal right now, but perhaps in the future.

Even if they do eventually get married they will still shun him either way.

Its not your problem its theirs.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Not sure you can say too much here. Maybe point out what a poor witness they are giving by being so judgemental and unloving in their behavior towards their own son? When others see that type of behavior, it turns them off to witnesses?

• Satanus
    Satanus

You could point out how jews in the old testement didn't get a marriage performed. The guy simply went to the ladies home and led her to his home. Poof - married. Why does satans world need to sell them a liscence for jws, who claim to be no part of stans world to accept 2 people living together?

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

They might say to be in subjection to the superior authorities. However, few govts care if people shack up. Living together is widely accepted by societies, today. Some govts consider cohabitting couples as automatically married after a certain time period. The ones who care are the wt religious gb control freaks.

S

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

No way around it! Call them up and tell them how you feel.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Actually this is sooo easyyy.

The JW shunning you relative just needs to be turned around.

Shun him.

"we shun him because he shuns us....Don't talk to him... he is a fool."

Etc.

Eventually they will see they are fools. at 80 years of age ...

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Thanks Ignoranceisbliss, asking about suicides is a good start I think.

Finkelstein, good point. The couple is engaged and I don't really support their living together yet, but I'm glad they have plans and certainly I understand.

Ruderedhead-yes! Just another reason not to follow THE TRUTHtm

Satanus-good point, what's that called {common law spouse?} I think there must be several years of cohab before that kicks in though.

Sarasmile- I've been doing that for years with no results. Nothing seems to dislodge them from the WTS. Not false prophesies, false beliefs, doctrinal flip flops, etc, etc

Howthebiblewascreated- Just 30 more years to go :)

Thanks all!

ttwsyf

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

The other thing to consider is how to make sure that your nephew who is being shunned understands what is wrong with being a Witness and so doesn't try to get reinstated once he gets married. I like the idea of reverse shunning and of pointing out to them how outraged you are by practice considering how psychologically abusive shunning is and how contrary it is to being a loving parent. I would use the expression 'Shame on you!'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit