How many *educated* adults are being converted into the Jehovah's Witnesses nowadays?

by EdenOne 23 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The other day I was sitting in one of those meetings where the public talk was absolutely mind-dumbing. By minute 5 I couldn't take it anymore paying further attention to what was being said, so my mind wandered. I looked around to my own KH and started to notice something. Those who have been baptized - in what marks a positive statement of commitment to the JW faith tennets - in the last, say, 15 years, are either children of Jehovah's Witnesses or people with a relatively poor (many bordering illiterate) secular instruction. Forget the wonderous experiences told in the JW publications - what is your experience in your Kingdom Hall, in your congregation? In the last 15 years, how many: a) adults that are b) unrelated with JW by family ties and c) possessing a higher education degree have become baptized Jehovah's Witnesses?

In my KH = Zero.

What's your experience?

Eden

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

To my knowledge zero!

But I have heard of people who when they have fallin in love with a hard core JW, of the opposite sex, have forgoten all what they have learned in High scool or in the University, and converted into Jah dubs. Love makes your mind twisted and you cannot think clear. I think that this is one of biggest reason to become JW.

Bugbear

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Bugbear - I am not sure that is the case - some worldly people who fall for Witnesses study and maybe even get baptized but quickly see through the BS. I think it is worse for those who get baptized and then realise the folly of their ways as they have created expectations in the Witness spouse and so the fact that they end up as an Apostate becomes a big source of resentment. It is easier to be a UBM.

The more educated the quicker one sees through the BS even when blinded by love of the Witness. In my case I never contemplated becoming a Witness or even studying. I told my wife very early that if I did a study that I would be labelled as an Opposer within five minutes for the questions I would ask they could not answer. She already understood this from the questions I had asked her so never pursued the subject.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

It's a good point. I think that my dad was actually the most intelligent JW I ever knew. But there were holes in his reasoning that were apparent to me even as a child.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

One. Who happens to be mentally ill and on disability from a brain injury. The love-bombing hooked them but once dunked they've been pretty much ignored by the Cong. The others are all JW kids.

Doc

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I had one in Kingston NY who was a true rocket scientest went to bethel true ass.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I stopped by to see my mother who was attending the one day assembly. They had their usual youth experiences going on the stage. You know where the young publishers tell how they gave up worldly goals to pioneer. Anyways this young attractive Spanish girl, perhaps 19-20 was giving her experience of pioneering and avoiding the pressure of outside influence in her spiritual development. I noticed in the assembly hall people nodding their heads and smiling. Then this young girl mentioned how she pioneers AND is taking courses at her community college to earn her AA degree. I literally heard a gasp from members around me. I understand their disappointment because how dare she only pioneer for just 100 hours, when she can obviously do 140.

They should be proud of this young woman and I at least feel she has a chance in life. With an AA degree she can easily bounce into a 4 year program of her choosing once she figures out that a career is needed to survive in this world. They also had a visiting brother from Bethel who represents the GB. He bashed on doing outside research but yet quotes Mark Twain. It is so hypocritical of the WT leaders to bash education but yet they will quote from Samuel Clemens who for the most part of his life was Anti-Religion, and they will quote from other educated men/women from all fields.

But to answer your question, I know of not one child in the congregation I left many years ago completing any college. I do know an elder from that congregation got his Law Degree. Which means he had to earn a BS/BA degree prior to the J.D. degree. So a total of SEVEN years of higher education. This is the same elder who condemn me for watching Brave Heart back in the 1990's. Yes, I watched my first R rated movie. I was such a big sinner.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I have not met any truly educated adult witnesses in the 40+ years of association with the org. Most of the ones I know are high school dropouts. Most of the elders in the congregation are either high school drop out or barely finished high school.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

We had a doctor (general practice) who converted to jw from the territory in my congregation about 5 years ago. That's one I've known of in 15 years a jw.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Every new one in my hall in the last 5 years plus since I moved to this hall all 3, 2 of them were boarder line mental and they other I never met but I know of his professional trade as a salesman so no doctors here. Intact what makes my hall so cohesive is there all pretty much poor and uneducated, no class distinction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit