How do individual JW's justify Jehovah's Old Testament orders to kill little children even babies (amalekites, canaanites)?

by Daniel1555 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I asked this of the last JW that came to my door. I said "So you are OK with God destroying the millions of babies of those that will be killed at Armageddon?" He tried to go off topic, but I said "That's a yes or no question". He couldn't respond, because to say yes would make him a monster, to say no would mean he doesn't believe in what he was peddling. No matter how you try to explain, excuse, dress it up or change the subject, Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the mass slaughter of billions of human beings, many of them innocent children, many who have never heard of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

The Old Testament was Jehovah's learning curve.

Len

• blondie
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

LisaRose - "I asked this of the last JW that came to my door. I said 'So you are OK with God destroying the millions of babies of those that will be killed at Armageddon?' He tried to go off topic, but I said 'That's a yes or no question'. He couldn't respond, because to say yes would make him a monster, to say no would mean he doesn't believe in what he was peddling."

Well played; I'll have to remember that one.

It's funny... you'd think the individuals who'd crafted that particular aspect of WT ideology would have had some inkling of just how offensive it really is.

But then, maybe it simply didn't sound all that horrible to the WT leadership at the time (post-WWII)... after all, genocide has happened all throughout human history, yet we tend to forget that present-day social attitudes - the ones that find it so offensive - are actually a pretty recent thing (historically speaking).

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

These are just my own thoughts from my own studies. And yes, I do struggle with this concept, particularly due to the commandment of not murdering. I see it as God's plan for His people was to be completely holy (set apart). He wanted a zero percent chance that His people would be influenced by pagan deities. This is why in Deuteronomy, He commanded Moses, and therefore Joshua, to completely wipe out everything and keep nothing for themselves. Joshua 13 describes this not being done, and the book of Judges begins with the result of this disobedience. So, if the purpose was to have an area of land that only His people possessed and, as a result, could follow His statutes and commandments without fear of being led astray from the inside...I get it. It still seems very cruel for me to comprehend, but it makes more sense to me that way. Two big unresolved questions that I still have are: How does the commandment in Exodus 20 not apply here, and if the Israelites were turning to pagan gods while isolated in the wilderness, why would it have helped to isolate them in a new land? Anyway, just my thoughts.

• cofty
    cofty

So ethnic cleansing through genocide is a virtue to your god is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit