Have you been Invalidated?

by Londo111 16 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Londo111.......... sorry Londo,

"total information control from birth and knowing no other way of life."

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Londo I think I got to a point where I realised that I couldn't change the past and I didn't want my life to be wasted in regrets. Too much of it had been wasted already. I've been out for twenty-five years and I never mean to invalidate people who are just leaving when I encourage them to see the world, enjoy life and think about something other than this cult. It's just that human life is finite.

My father always wanted to travel. He was always talking about buying a Land Rover and travelling to Africa, etc. Never went out of the UK in the end! He sat by my mother's bed when she was dying and talked again about this wish and said to me, I suppose it's too late now isn't it? What could I say? I don't mean to be melodramatic but life slips away so fast.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Just saying "get over it" is pretty vauge and shows a lack of insight when referring to the Borg experience. But sometimes in other situations I dont feel completely the same. There are some who go on with such self pity about situations that are so transparent as they have described it that saying "get over it" means more than simply moving on. It means get over yourself and your obvious post amounting to a pity party. Either way, I think the point can be made more appropriately by a better choice of words.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

I see both sides of the argument. This site is very helpful to most by providing an open place to discuss and debate. JW.net members are VERY supportive of those who have been through the WT meat grinder (judicial process).

Bad things happen to good people. That's just a fact of life. Bad doesn't discriminate.

What matters is how we, as adults, deal with the bad in our lives - and on whom we place the blame. That is our choice. By "moving on" we accept the responsibility of our future and personal freedom.

Depressed people live in the past. Anxious people live in the future. Happy people live in the present.

ginger

• Londo111
    Londo111

I’ve been told, “If I was in a cult…I’d be as far away from anything having to do with it as possible. But you keep researching, posting, making videos, ect...”

So apparently “moving on” would mean not to even help those starting to wake up or be there for people who come from this common background.

My response has been: what if Ray Franz has simply “moved on”? What if Steven Hassan had simply “moved on”? What if every former JW or cult member moved on in that manner? Where would any of us be?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

London111 I think that's why I made my comment. There is a difference between moving on emotionally and just living in denial. We did belong to the cult. We have to take more than out bodies out of it. But we can intellectually remain active in fighting the evil we know too well and still "move on". I think if our life becomes consumed by the anti-JW campaigning to the exclusion of emotional well being, we have not moved on.

• twice shy
    twice shy

Great points wasanelder.

Happy people live in the present. Gingerbread than this present day is a very good day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit