Ostracism more damaging than bullying

by jgnat 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

New study out of the University of BC:

http://news.ubc.ca/2014/05/29/better-to-be-bullied-than-ignored-in-the-workplace-study/

We tend to underestimate the damage that social ostracism does. It's effects are powerful, however. We are social beings.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

And they know that. Ostracism is not wanting to get you back in the pack, it's to hurt you for leaving them-a revenge type of thing. I'd love to see a class-action suit of ostracised friends. Thanks for posting this jgnat.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• prologos
    prologos

the only defense is to find better friends, better links to rise above the perceived need for the OOstracising OOrganisation.

• clarity
    clarity

Nice catch Ignat... wt knows exactly what

they do by shunning, they have it down to

a science!

There is an article in a watchtower or awake

stating that 'isolation' is the most cruel form of

punishment there is ...so they know very well!

The writer probably had a smirk on his face at

the time!

For some reason I can not find this statement,

have searched a # of times.......anybody else

remember reading that???????

clarity

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

MyTherapist, who understood the predicament of a born-in J.W trying to leave, kind of equated the two things with her comment, when I explained Shunning :

"But that is the very worst type of bullying !" she added "and I would question their right to call themselves Christian if they do that !"

• Mum
    Mum

Ostracism is pure evil. I recently saw a documentary about how prisoners act out when placed in solitary confinement. No one in their right mind can believe that ostracism "helps" anybody.

In the past, I had a job in the personnel area of a local government agency. An employee in the Parks Department ran afoul of the department head. Said department head instructed all other department employees not to speak to this person. I was transcribing a tape about the hearing, and I started crying. It is so hurtful to hear of anyone being treated in such a manner. Fortunately, I had a private office.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We are social beings. I knew deep down that shunning is cruel and unnatural, and it is nice to see some research in print to back this up.

• steve2
    steve2

Being socially cut off from others is worse than negatively interacting with others (as in bullying). Nice to know the social sciences confirm this well known social observation.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Having been the recipient of all three - verbal and physical bullying and ostracism, I am not sure that I agree that ostracism is worst. I can't say that I enjoyed being ostracised, but simply being left out and ignored was less terrifying and hurtful than being threatened and harassed. The occasional mild physical or verbal harrassment would probably be less upsetting than constant ostracism, but it's all a matter of degree. And also, in my opinion, ostracism rarely occurs without at least an undercurrent of verbal harrassment - snickering when the target walks by, eye rolling, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit