My memorial visit this year.

by TweetieBird 5 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

So I have a JW relative now living with me so I went to the Memorial this year with him since he is new to the hall and doesn't really know anyone. The warmth was amazing (insert sarcasm here). One witness couple that has been stopping by and relatively new to the area saved us seats so they talked to me, one other sister and her brother talked to me. One elder stood at the back door and all he said to me was, "I know you". That was it.

My relative, an active witness, has been going to this hall for about 2 months now. Other than the one family mentioned above, I don't think anyone has bothered to get to know him. It really is an unfriendly congregation.

• Laika
    Laika

When I went to the memorial, not one person spoke to me, not one!

"I know you" - ha! What kind of an intro is that?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

What's funny is I was face to face with this elder the other night at a restaurant and he wouldn't even acknowledge me.

"You will know them by the love they have amongst themselves", ha...that's what got my wheels turning to start with.

• steve2
    steve2

Sounds awful. Did they have a big attendance at the Memorial this year? I've heard that locally attendance was lower than anticipated. Don't know about elsewhere though.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

"You will know them by the love they have amongst themselves", ha...that's what got my wheels turning to start with.

That was, and is, (and probably always will be) the deal-breaker scripture.

For me, the witnesses do apply it for neutrality.

But, as is often cited even in talks, what about day-to-day life?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

My mom did not attend hers, due to a work conflict. I found that interesting, but she said their attendance was great. "There were so many people there from the public, they didn't have enough seats for them! People were standing in the hallway!... of course, I think the MEMORIAL is the strangest thing to invite people to. If that is your first time at a KH, you would think it was very strange..."

Our recent (last fall) visits to 2 different KH Sunday meetings, were of the same level of friendliness you describe. About 5 years ago, when we entered a KH for the first time here, we were love-bombed and swarmed with people, wanting to meet us and know who we were. But not this time! (relievingly so...)

We went to a meeting, and no one greeted us at all. The meeting commenced, and I realized I'd forgotten our song book. The lady behind us lent us hers. When I returned it to her after the meeting, she said, "Where are you from?" When I told her we were just visiting after not attending for a long time, she made no comment. I said, "This seemed like a good time to come and catch up on things." (it was the new light about 1914 and the wheat/weeds parable, and the timeline... extremely bizarre and jarring meeting to observe). She smiled widely and merely said, "Oh yes! It was a good one!"

We scurried out of there, while they all gathered for field service. Not one other person said a word to us, or even glanced in our direction. We were properly dressed, and we even had the "right" Bibles. We'd expected to see people we knew, but none of the 3 families were there for that new prophetic revelation.

It was a relief that we didn't have to explain ourselves or talk to anyone, but also a disappointment... My parents really fell in love with that concept of a worldwide brotherhood. I wonder what kind of greeting they get, when they visit KH's out of town now. Of course, my dad is a salesman, so he will just go up and introduce himself to people, to the embarrassment of my mother.

Thanks for sharing your experience! The atmosphere in the KH has definitely changed over the last few years. It ALWAYS has felt more like a funeral home, but now the people seem even more robotic and scared... but that's just my outsider's observation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit