You know, I recently believed that Jesus was a cool guy....

by Muddy Waters 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Why cant people just do good things and be good people just because it is a good thing to do? - Muddy Waters

Yes why can't they? I am with you there MW.

I now believe jesus was just another man, saying both good things and stupid things. And he didn't even write his own stuff down, but other people wrote stuff about him and made a whole new religion

Yes so do I.

Here's a question for you MW. Why do we feel the need to follow others anyway? Why can't we decide each issue in life for ourselves?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

It's very easy to do pure evil in the name of Jesus basead on his teachings.

Now try to think if someone can build a WT basead on Buddha's teaching or Confucio?

That fact alone speaks volumes about the credibility of Jesus as a "cool guy".

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"There were dozens of varieties by the end of the 2nd century." - sir

"To paraphrase the Geico commercials: "15 minutes on Wikipedia could save you endless embarrassment when posting to the web." -sir

Christianity, in its earliest days, shared a good deal in common with the many “mystery religions” which became popular in the Roman Empire. In fact, it’s hard not to place Christianity among the mystery religions (even though Christian apologists refuse to do this).

So I should have used "congregations" instead of "churches".

In the first and second century, the basic unit of Christianity was the localized church. Each of these churches appears to have had its own collection of sacred writings, and its own concept of Christianity. It was like Wiccan meet Jesus.

At any rate, the main authority of each individual church lay in its assembly of elders. Collectively, they determined the teachings of that church, and ensured that they were distributed to the members.

So, you were right in both statements. First, if we are talking semantics, there were dozens of varieties by the end of the 2nd century, even if there were more wiccans that anything else before various "Church Fathers" developed an “orthodox” and uniform doctrine, and a Church based upon it. Records of other and/or older doctrines were either suppressed, or misrepresented, in intervening centuries. So again, I don't know if you could call whatever they have before Christianity until someone put their crap together.

Second, 15 minutes on Wikipedia could save you endless embarrassment when posting to the web, even though some of us need 16 minutes.

Take care,
    Ismael

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

AH so as well as turning away form your religion you turn away ofrm the very oneyou used to folow it says a lot about you. The problem is you neve rknew Jesus as a jw and were part of a counterfeit church and kingdom.Ifyou knew your Messiah then you would know the true church cannot be seen or touched and is not made with human hands. You cannot find him in a building or organization. If you seek knock and ask he will let himself be ofund by you.So you now choose to disown and mock your Saviour. I would encourage you to seek him not a church you cna go to. He will never leave or deny you regardless of what you say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit