Why do we need a 'god'?

by Uni girl 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

I have read with interest the discussions on this board and many good point have been well made, especially Uncle Bruce. But over and over I keep thinking Why do we need a god??

Are we such weak creatures who stand by and hope and yes I mean hope that there will be an end to injustice?? I'm not just talking about war, famine etc I'm talking about the prejudices that run so deep within society, that are not addressed and thus people suffer.

The black race has suffered such injustices and still do. Rated as second class citizen with hardly any hope of social mobility. The US is built upon 'cotton money' the UK is built upon colonisation.
    You may feel that my examples have proved that we can not do anything ourselves but I believe that we can. I believe in the power to change yourself. I don't think it should take a divine revelation or a great war with the nations. If there was a benevolent and wonderful father in Heaven then why would he allow such suffering?? Why should generations of people suffer to prove that he is almighty?? Ok, maybe you would say' well he has the power to ressurect" but so what?? Even the ressurection is fraught with injustice in that the bible indicates that the children of the ressurection would not get married, how can that be fair?? they'd have to sit back and watch all those other families together, procreating whilst they themselves are almost eunuch like.
    Religion is a man-made philosophy because some people can not believe that this is it, we are here and then we're not. It is for weak minded (and yes that used to include me) people who are afraid to take responsibility for themselves or the world around them. Wanting a god to rescue us, is the same as still wanting your mummy or daddy to come and sort you out even when you should be independant. Sorry if this offends any one but honestly I've given this loads of thought and you won't change my mind

Peace and love to all

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hello Uni,
    Welcome aboard. No need to apologize for asking questions here or for stating your views and opinions. This is the purpose of this board.
    First of all it's not only the blacks that have had a difficult time of it. A lot of people have suffered in a lot of ways. I don't know how old you are so you may not be able to fully appreciate that understatement I made in the previous sentence. The list is far too long to list here or anywhere else for that matter.
    I think that many people are angry at the trials and tribulations that man is forced to bear while not understanding why these things are happening. One way to deal with that is to deny the existence of God.
    Now mind you that the existence of God can neither be 'proved' or 'disproved'. I find that very interesting. You are on 'even ground' in either case from a purely intellectual standpoint. You can choose to accept or reject the concept of God. Neither can be conclusively established. One stance puts you in a position where hope exists, the other is futility.
    Am I frustrated at the unanswerable questions? Yes. Am I frustrated not being able to know for a certainty? Yes. Do I have a difficult time believing in a loving, caring God when I see the atrocities perpetrated upon and by his children? Yes. It makes me angry at times. At other times it makes me very sad. But I have grown children who now have children of their own. There are many things that I tell them now that I could not tell them when they were younger. Perhaps it's the same with us.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• TruthHurts
    TruthHurts

Hi Uni Girl

Are we such weak creatures who stand by and hope and yes I mean hope that there will be an end to injustice?? I'm not just talking about war, famine etc I'm talking about the prejudices that run so deep within society, that are not addressed and thus people suffer.

Unfortunately, we humans ARE weak creatures. What can we do, if the big boys at the top are playing the world like a computer game? Theres nothing we can do. Protest, maybe. My solution would to be get rid of TV, a lot of "pop" music, major sources of influence. There IS a sinister force behind all this. The problems in society are stimulated by the people at the top, controlled by Satan.

It is for weak minded (and yes that used to include me) people who are afraid to take responsibility for themselves or the world around them.

Im pretty convinced that Jehovah God through the Bible does command us to take control of our lives, show responsibility. IF all people lived in harmony with the Bible, then there would be none of the problems you write about. So it is the weak-minded people who do NOT accept there is a God and / or do NOT live by his guidance, these are the people who are making this planet a mess. Also, this is the work of Satan ultimately.

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

Thank you for your replies, I read them with interest.

I find that my way of thinking is growing completely free of a need for either a god or a devil. I think that perhaps they are two sides of the same coin. I think that perhaps we need to explain these things to ourselves in such a simple way that, but I don't think the answers simple at all.
    I mentioned before the injustices of the world, but I think that most injustice is carried out under the banner of religion. 'Holy Books' have probably been the biggest 'weapon of mass destruction' in the world ever.
    I was asking whether or not it would be possible to stand alone and not use excuses for our actions. Not say 'oh I was tempted by Satan' or 'the Bible tells me I have the right to do this' I have seen more people hurt by holy writings, and seen more people in pain due to family shunning due to these writings.
    People in the truth are miserable, they are consumed by guilt and fear which is no way to live a life. In fact it isn't living at all.
    I am not a young person and I work amongst a client base that supports those who have been scarred by religions. Sometimes irrevicably.
    Thanks for the discussion, I enjoy good debate.
    Take care

• JAVA
    JAVA

Uni girl (Wow--you know how to start a conversation; Welcome to the group),

I hate to disagree with TruthHurts (well...no, not really) but I think humans are as weak or strong as they want to be, with or without religion. There is nothing wrong with religion until it's taken seriously. When that happens, all hell breaks out.

Religion helps us come together and process what we can't prove. There is nothing weak or wrong with that unless we force others into believing what we can't prove in the first place. Also, religion typically reflects societal norms (good, bad, and the ugly), and is used to approve these norms. In many ways, religion is a reflection of who we are at a period in time. I don't see that as a weakness, but a mirror of sorts. We can't fully blame religion per se for unfairness, because unfairness happens until there are reasons to change. With or without religion.

As you pointed out, religion at its core is nothing more than a group of people with shared beliefs they can't prove. When said groups start taking themselves too seriously, demanding they have "the Truth" or their ism is the only way--that's weakness. On that basis, the Watchtower Society is a weakness, but the Watchtower Society is not a reflection of all religions. Some religions speak out against suffering and injustice. For example, some Quakers spoke out again slavery long before it became a political issue in the United States. Yes, prejudices run deep in society, and religion can act as a tool for or against it.

---JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 20 February 2001 15:36:16

• larc
    larc

JAVA,

You saved me a lot of time. That's exactly, word for word, what I was going to say!

• JAVA
    JAVA

larc,

Rats, next time I'll wait a little longer before posting. Larc, have I ever told you what a smart guy you are?

---JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

Dear all,

I appreciate your comments...good points well put!!

It's wonderful to be able to express thoughts without fear. I look forward to our further chats. Until then Be good and take care

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Uni girl,

I agree with Java, a great topic for conversation.

It is really good to observe that people here on this forum, carry on such conversations, without rankor and spite. It really is a treat for me, kinda like being released from a war torn dictatorship. I salute Simon and the rest of this forum membership...for setting the example. I really hope it stays this way.

Java and Frenchy your thoughts on God/religion were excellent. Uni girl it is obvious you have given alot of thought to this age ole dilema. It is a subject that while ensconsed in Jwdom, one cannot really consider, without a bucket full of guilt and resultant anxiety. It took me several years after leaving, to allow myself the privelege of thinking for myself. This must sound funny, to anyone who has never turned their entire life over to a cult, but it is a fact.

Uni you will be a real asset here, glad you decided to post.

DannyBear

• waiting
    waiting

Hey uni girl,

It's late & I have nothing substantial to add - but that's never stopped me before from posting.

One of the proofs of the divinity of our gospel is that it has survived preaching. Woodrow Wilson

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't. Jules Renard

She believed in nothing; only her scepticism kept her from being an atheist. Jean-Paul Sartre

Nice to meet you.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit