A glaring example of how Watchtower's insertion of "Jehovah" corrupts the NT

by Island Man 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

"The rNWT replaces "kyrios" (Lord) with "Jehovah" in translating Romans 14:8 as follows:

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah,*+ and if we die, we die to Jehovah.* So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah."

But note what the very next verse (Romans 14:9) says:

"For to this end Christ died and came to life again, so that he might be Lord over both the dead and the living."

It is very clear from the wording of verse 9 that Kyrios (Lord) mentioned in verse 8 is referring to Jesus and should not be replaced with "Jehovah", because verse 9 is a justification of the idea mentioned in verse 8 as evidenced by the use of the phrase "For to this end . . ." and then going on to refer to christ being kyrios (Lord) over both the dead and the living.

Now notice how the two verses make much better logical sense if kyrios is left as "Lord":

"For if we live, we live to the Lord,*+ and if we die, we die to the Lord.* So both if we live and if we die, we belong to the Lord.*+ 9 For to this end Christ died and came to life again, so that he might be Lord over both the dead and the living."

Do you see that? Both verses refer to life and death and both verses refer to one who is Lord of the dead and the living. Verse 9 is actually a justification or explanation of what is stated in verse 8. Since verse 9 explicitly identifies the Lord being referenced as christ then it is obvious that the Lord being referred to in verse 8 is christ and not Jehovah."

Taken from my Y!A question

• designs
    designs

I feel so much better.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There are people that believe that Yahweh is Satan and Jesus speaks of another god as his father not Jehovah and this is why his name is not mentioned in the NT. They piont to the fact that there are a lot of scriptures were Jesus is saying something totaly different from the OT God says. Maybe the JW's at bethel feel the same way and acctually are Satan worshipers. If not then why are they so determined to remove Jesus name from the NT??

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

This IS very odd and actually humorous, because the WT claims they do not

think Jesus is God and yet they knowingly put their version of the name of God

to replace Jesus ? Indicating they really ARE Trinity believers ? They are making

Jesus into God Almighty in their new translation ? Thats great news.

What an ironic twist this is.

• zebagain
    zebagain

I take this on board. Reminds me of some of the prayers said at conventions where the pray-er proceeded to "Jehovah" us endlessly with "Jehovah" used every second word.

• Listener
    Listener

I agree with Villagirl. If they believe their interpretation is so far superior then this is a great scripture to prove that they do support the trinity.

• Island Man
    Island Man

"They are making Jesus into God Almighty in their new translation?"

This is not a change introduced in the new translation. The old translation is worded the same. I'm only quoting from the new translation because that's the one JWs now use and because the new translation didn't correct this obvious error - a deliberate one, clearly, because it should be very obvious that "the Lord" in Romans 14:8 is Jesus.

• twice shy
    twice shy

I read the link to your post. I wanted to comment so bad I nearly screamed. Couldn't though because my post would not be anonymous through yahoo.

You have it so right. I checked the KJV to see to whom it was refering and Island Man are absolutely right. It is referring to Jesus Christ.

In the King James Version (KJV) when Lord and God are written in that way with the lower case letters it is referring to Jesus Christ.

Only when it is written in all capital letters "LORD and GOD" is it referring to GOD ALMIGHTY or Jehovah God.

I also agree with one of the Yahoo posters that stated that GOD ALMIGHTY's name (the tetragrammaton) should not be uttererd as it is holy. The poster on Yahoo also brought out that the name of GOD was forbidden to be uttered.

A poster here on Jwn brought out the point that not even Jesus when he walked this earth used his Heavenly Father's name. He always referred to him as Father in some type of way when speaking of him. "Jesus did not disrespect the Father by callig him by his first name."

The disrespect of the Father and lack of acknowledgement of the son by the wtbt$ is.... Gosh! And, I thought I had the truth before. The prayers for forgiveness is real in my home. SMH

• Fernando
    Fernando

Another great reminder of why it is so great to be free of the apostate and controlling Watchtower organisation.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.…

Verse 7 is referring to Lord as Jesus!

:-) Good one!

Most JW would ignore the facts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit