suggestions from Crisis of conscience

by monis1 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• monis1
    monis1

My husband is inactive, but still very much believes in the borg as having the truth. i now have CoC in Spanish. i am currently reading it, but i would love to know if anyone can point me to any specifics. i am planning on printing out whatever i think may catch his eye. i dont think he would read the whole thing just on his own.

He seems to be interested in/ affected by injustices by the elders. so maybe something along those lines.

i just wish that he could be freed from the guilt of not being active and from his desiring to "go back" someday.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi, monis1

Many years ago I read COC while still an active witness and quite frankly then I just thought of him as a disgruntled ex JW who had an axe to grind.

As I said this was many ,many years ago. I have been on this site a number of years now and came across a book by Don Cameron an ex Elder , who took a" quote" from Ray Franz`s COC and wrote his own book , titled " Captives Of A Concept" available on LULU for only about $6 to download.

This is the publication for me , that freed me from the bondage forever of beleiving jehovahs witnesses as being directed by a god . full stop .

I was a jehovahs witness for 33 years , fully commited and served as a MS , I didnt want the responsability of serving as an elder.

In my experience over the years many people leave the JW religion , but the religion never leaves them . They are still captives of a concept.

And what is that concept ? This publication spells it out so simply yet effectively , it changed my life.I highly recommend it.

Wishing you all the best in freeing your husband from being a captive of a concept. ( And the both of you living a life together free from guilt.)

smiddy

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz is much better than COC, imho. There's a whole chapter on heartless, disfellowshippings by elders which your husband might be affected by, and much much more. No JW reading this book can ever be the same, I promise.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0914675168?tag=wwwquoteswatc-20&camp=14573&creative=329585&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0914675168&adid=1GNTVTT1RD5D63HNF7E6&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quotes-watchtower.co.uk%2F

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome monis1.

Possibly you could ask your husband to explain "legalism" to you (from the Watchtower library).

The word appears only once in the entire wt library (2012).

The article (g79 6/8 pp. 27-28) is really great and reads like a summary of Ray Franz' book "In Search of Christian Freedom".

You could also ask: "Is legalism apostasy?" (Yes it is and the WBTS is guilty as sin).

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The book "Crisis of Conscience" can be read on three levels, and although these levels are never far apart, the prose dictates that we keep these narrative arcs separate in order to get the best from this volume.

First we have a largely autobiographical thread that runs throughout the book. Ray Franz's early beginnings in the WTS, his service as a missionary in the Caribbean, his call to work at Bethel HQ, and his subsequent participation in the higher echelons of WT management. Then follows, for reasons embedded in the other levels, the reason for his leaving the WTS and his ultimate sacrifice, that of expulsion from the movement.

Second, Franz tells of a hidden, and silent conflict that took place in the leadership circles of the WT at this crucial time in WT history, and which went unreported to the Rank and File. It starts innocently enough when WT President Nathan Knorr requested Franz, along with three others, Ed Dunlap, Reinhard Lengtat, and John Wischuk, to compile a sort of WT theological encyclopedia that would explain in simple terms what the WT said the Bible said. That is, how the instrumentality of the Bible was interpreted by the WTS. This eventually became the "Aid to Bible Understanding " book. The book went on explain subject by subject, like most other Evangelical Bible Dictionaries, various aspects of biblical theology and how the WT treated them.

While researching the subject of church governance, Franz discovered an anomaly between what the Bible said and how the WT was organized. Hitherto, the WT was organized around single individuals, from a President who centred all authority in his own hands, and who, through patronage, parceled out this authority to other individuals, from Branch Managers down to Congregation leaders. Franz discovered that the NT pattern was for a multiplicity of leaders in these various offices, and that the privilege of patronage was collective and not an individual one.

Both Knorr and Fred Franz, at that time the Vice-President, and Ray's uncle, approved of this feature in the Aid book, and promptly on publication it was announced, that starting in 1971, a new governing arrangement was to be implemented, which was the multiple leaders arrangement, to be called "The Elder procedure". By the end of 1971, the entire body politic of the WT was effected and everywhere from the branch level to the congregation level, multiple leaders were installed.

There was one exception, however.

At Bethel HQ, the Individual Leadership was still in practice, with Knorr firmly at the helm and unwilling to permit or encourage any alteration. Thus began a struggle within the inner circle of the WT, as a group of men called the Board of Directors, and who hitherto had acted merely as decorative impedimenta under Knorr, realized that they should have real power within the Leadership. This grim conflict between Knorr and the Board of Directors was never without acrimony, but they finally won and the so-called Governing Body was established, and Knorr, who was now ailing, was relegated to a side role. Franz reveals his own disappointment with this new arrangement when the WT was now reduced to being controlled not by single despot, but by a group of men who collectively acted as a single despot. His discomfiture was noted and he was eased out of authority and subsequently fired.

On a third level, Franz reveals much of his own horror when he discovered some of the more intemperate statements that the WT writers made about the End of the World as we know it, the unscriptural legalism that governed WT thinking, and the scandal of Malawi that was successfully covered up. Chapters 7-10 are revelatory on these subjects.

One gets the impression that Franz was a sensitive man who, despite supporting much of WT theology on subjects such as the Trinity and the Afterlife, and who had no animosity toward his other GB members, was not afraid to speak out about abuses of power, as he saw it. On the whole the book is an absorbing read, and provides us with a vital understanding of how the most important change in WT history, came to be.

• monis1
    monis1

thank you all for your comments and suggestions. i will check out "Captives of a concept" and "The search for Christian Freedom."

even though my husband became inactive quite soon after i did a couple of years ago, is still haunted by his guilt. we celebrate many of the holidays at my insistance. He consents because he loves me. My young daughter's birthday is coming up. i want to have a party. He doesnt. but, he probably will take part anyway, as he has in the past. I just wish he could be freed and see this cult for what it is. We dont talk much about the religion because it has been painful for both of us, but we are starting to talk about it, which is good.

• KateWild
    KateWild

CoC was fantastic for me to free my mind from the concept of the religion. The thing I found most shocking was the voting going on in the GB. I assumed everything was guided by holy spirit. The Malawi / Mexico scandal was a direct consequence of the 2/3rds majority voting.

Another thing that also woke me up was 1914, Ray Franz identified a problem with the caculation, he went to his uncle Freddie and Freddie dismissed it and the GB tried to cover it up.

This all shoked me and woke me up.

I am glad you have it in Spanish, your mother toungue I presume. You have it, so you might as well read it, it woke up many on this board.

Kate xx

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

There are so many excellent portions of the book, CoC.

I like Ray's point on p.41 (fourth edition) where he asks, "do scriptural examples themselves urge against disclosure of wrongs where these involve those in high places of authority? It does not seem so, since the work of the Hebrew prophets frequently focused on such ones, those prophets making known the ways in which Israel's leaders and men in authority, even high priests, had strayed from God's standards with resulting problems. Jehovah's witnesses have often pointed to such candor and openness as one of the evidences that the Bible is truthful, genuinely God's book."

I also like the ending of chapter 10' where he quotes from an apology given by Herbert Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God, where they mentioned their flawed doctrinal understandings and unscriptural practices. If you read this letter without the background information, it sounds exactly like the sort of apology the WTS could and should have written, but probably never will.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think C of C is an excellent book. When I met Ray I KNEW!!!! he was so sincere...I was a devoted Jw for over 25 years.
    I think JWS is a worse cult than ANY Koresh,Jones town,because the folks that take their life after leaving.or
    getting D/F

http://exjw.weebly.com

• twice shy
    twice shy

@yadda- There's a whole chapter on heartless, disfellowshippings by elders

Heartless is too nice of a word to describe them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit