Just ordered this

by dynamiterose77 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

I just ordered this book. (OK... it's not linking, It's called " I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales from a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing " by Kyria Abrahams)

I came across it when trying to explain to a coworker about the end of the world images that would be in watchtowers when I was growing up and why they gave me horrible nightmares. I did an image search and found some disturbing ones and sent them to her. Then, hidden in the images was one of this book. It looked like something I imagined as a kid so I looked into it.

It has a lot of good reviews, a few not so good... but I thought I'd go ahead and see for myself.

Has anyone read it?

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

From the description:

I'm Perfect, You're Doomed is the story of Kyria Abrahams's coming-of-age as a Jehovah's Witness -- a doorbell-ringing "Pioneer of the Lord." Her childhood was haunted by the knowledge that her neighbors and schoolmates were doomed to die in an imminent fiery apocalypse; that Smurfs were evil; that just about anything you could buy at a yard sale was infested by demons; and that Ouija boards -- even if they were manufactured by Parker Brothers -- were portals to hell. Never mind how popular you are when you hand out the Watchtower instead of candy at Halloween.

When Abrahams turned eighteen, things got even stranger. That's when she found herself married to a man she didn't love, with adultery her only way out. "Disfellowshipped" and exiled from the only world she'd ever known, Abrahams realized that the only people who could save her were the very sinners she had prayed would be smitten by God's wrath.

Raucously funny, deeply unsettling, and written with scorching wit and deep compassion, I'm Perfect, You're Doomed explores the ironic absurdity of growing up believing that nothing matters because everything's about to be destroyed.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I have heard of this book and, in fact, my local library has it!

Will have to check it out this summer.

Looks interesting.

Happy reading,

BOC

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Kyria Abrahams is quite talented. Something that never would have happened if she continued to buy into the crap that had all of us in it's hold for however long! Just google her name and a whole bunch of info comes up about her. She also has a Facebook page that is good.

HappyDad

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My daughter gave me that, it's hilarious.

The family in the book was weirdly similar to ours, same ages, they had a boy and a girl, parents weren't happily married. Kyria and my daughter had much in common. Her descriptions of the oddballs at the hall were right on.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yeah I read it, it has some interesting parts to it.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I read it after devouring the Truth book (Joy Castro) and Girls Guide to Homelessness (Brianna Karp) Immediately after learning TTATT.

There were many amusing anecdotes I could relate to as a born-in. (Hello, demonized Smurfs). While I think Kyria has talent, her writing wasn't quite asgut-wrenching or thought provoking, compared to the first two books I mentioned. Some of her escapades were frustrating to read through as she just made poor choices (not everything in life can or should be blamed on being raised JW). However, I get that all of us have different backgrounds despite being raised JW, and not everyone had a crazy, unstable upbringing in JW world. (I had a normal, safe, happy, delusional home ;)

I checked out her more recent posts it looks like she's come a long way and definitely has a flair for making people laugh. Enjoy her book.

• clarity
    clarity

Hey there...welcome Dynamiterose77!

Didn't see you come in!

clarity

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

as she just made poor choices (not everything in life can or should be blamed on being raised JW).

MY thoughts also, keep that comment in mind from Gypsy Sam as you read the book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit