Do you have a newfound thirst for self-expression after leaving the religion?

by Apognophos 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm not even out yet and sometimes I feel like expressing my opinions loudly, wearing t-shirts with messages on them (gasp!), and getting up in people's faces when they annoy me. Sometimes the thought of a fistfight sounds appealing. I'm normally a meek guy, but I think the religion has still repressed me to the point that now I feel like over-reacting to things just for the sheer pleasure of not being a sheep anymore. Can anyone else relate to this, or do I have male PMS?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd just like to know how to build a new network of friends.

Real friends. Like the ones I THOUGHT I had at the Kingdom Hall.

This seems to be a real issue with many who end of DFd, DA, or who fade.

While we are "IN", we have a boatload of (un)conditional friends.

Diagnosed with cancer. They'll be there.

Lose your mate. They'll be there.

Get stranded 1000 miles from home when your old jalopy breaks down. Call. They'll be there.

Express any doubts about the Organization.................you're alone on an island.

Doc

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'm moving for the first time as a 100% out ex-jw. One thing i thought about is making friends from scratch? How? Yes the new freedom feels great! I love it feel like an 18 year old at times.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oh yeah, and I want to grow a beard even though I know it probably won't look good on me. I'm tired of feeling paranoid that if I skip a shave on one single day, I'll get negative attention from the Witnesses that surround me everywhere I go. It would be a just-because-I-can beard.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I did lots of stuff "just because I could" when I first left the wtbts. Self-expression feels great, it was a wonderful experience to simply speak my mind whenever I wanted to. I toned it down after a while, but still said what I want to say whenever necessary.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Apognopheos: interesting i am the reverse i feel like not expressing my opinions very loudley. In fact i am discovering you can learn more about yourself and obtain stronger friendships and better understanding of people by keeping my opinions on religon, politics as my private opinions.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm actually enjoying forming opinions as part of engaging with the larger world. I still don't have any political opinions, for instance. No idea how government works. I'm tired of being uninvolved in society and ignorant of how it works. I want to form opinions. I want to put a bumper sticker on my car! And later regret it and try to scrape it off.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Apog, I think I understand what you mean. It's the reverse of when someone new first learns "the truth" and wants to tell absolutely everyone about all the cool new stuff they are learning. When you learn The Real Truth [TTATT], you want to shout it out from the rooftops because it is such Freedom! Personally, I wish I could use the bumper sticker someone posted that said something like "I've survived 5 End Times Already!" or even "Religion Is A Snare And A Racket" but they won't work in my fade....

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, I also can't express myself until my fade is complete. My hope is to eventually end up somewhere that's not near any Witnesses and then go hog wild expressing myself.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I SURE DO... The WTBTS best tactic is stripping you of your individuality and your desire to be who you are.

Since I have left I do wear clothing that has meaning to me. I have a bumper sticker on my car. I have a particular flag I wave.

I also discuss things that previously I avoided at all costs. I have art that I like that is on display because I do not care if the brothers are offended by african statues...

It is wonderful

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit