Humans have been on the earth for 6,000 years?

by make yourself 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

James Brown you are totally wrong.

Writing is just one method of communication. And just because something was written in the past does not mean it can interpreted accurately today. Some ancient writings remain undeciphered. Whatever the writer was conveying is lost to us.

Achaeologists can work out when where and how people lived before writing was invented. Ancient peoples communited via a number of means, and art and painting was just one method that was widespread. Artworks survive that are more than 40,000 years old. Aboriginal rock art in Australia is among the earliest known painting on Earth. Among the many subjects it depicts are complex relationships between people and animals. A number of paintings depict animals that have been extinct in the areas where they were painted for thousands of years.

There are cave paintings in France and other parts of Europe that date back to more than 20,000 years. Sculpture and jewellery are also items that tell us many things about ancient peoples.

Your thesis that history only began with writing is just plainly absurd.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Even if recorded history only goes back 5,500 years JB, can you explain the unbroken lines of Minoan, Egyptian, Indian, and Chinese cultures predating and post-dating the flood? Documented recorded history goes in unbroken lines right through the biblical date for a global flood and show no record of it.. Can you explain why the Great Pyramid shows no sign of water damage?

Also can you explain the many languages verified to be dated centuries before the tower of "Babel" incident?

• James Brown
    James Brown

Your thesis that history only began with writing is just plainly absurd.

It's not my theory or thesis. It has nothing to do with me.

It is what the history books say.

This is what they teach in worldly, secular colleges and universities.

The same universities that teach evolution.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS uses their interpretation of the chronology in the bible saying that since the creation of Adam it has been 6,040 years. But they count the beginning of the old version (and not corrected interpretation of a "creative day") from the creation of Eve. They now euphemistically say only thousands of years letting jws think it could be more than 6,000 plus years.

• James Brown
    James Brown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistory

For those of you allergic to books and university.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"History began 5,514 years ago. In Sumer." - James "Because there was no history before the begining of history, pre-history is conjecture, guessing, assuming." - James "Everyone has the same evidence and everyone interprets it differently." - James "But no matter what you believe, history starts less than 6,000 years ago." - James

The emergence of civilization is generally associated with the final stages of the Neolithic Revolution, a slow cumulative process occurring independently over many locations between 10,000 and 3,000 BCE, culminating in the relatively rapid process of state formation, a political development associated with the appearance of a governing elite.

Recorded history, sometimes referred to as written history, is a concept describing the availability of a written record or some other form of documented communication that can be used to support a specific historical narrative. Because of its dependence on documentation, recorded history can be contrasted with other narratives of the past such as mythological or oral traditions. Recorded history begins with the accounts of the ancient world around the 4th millennium BC, and coincides with the invention of writing. Don't be dishonest. Are you saying that there were no people before the written record? Take care, Ismael

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

JB: For those of you allergic to books and university.

One of the most absurd statements ever. Persons like cofty and bohm are very well read...just consider their posts.

Really what you are saying JB, is that you are intolerant to views that differ from your prejudices. Your only recourse to protect your pride is to insult the intelligence of those who see things differently based upon their own research and education. You've closed the book on your learning.

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn" - George Santayana

• Watkins
    Watkins

Before history was written, there is no record that is why it is called prehistory.

If there is no written record of things then what happened before history has to be based on opinion and conjecture.

No, the pre-historic record is discovered using science. Then opinion and conjecture is formed based on what is revealed by science. But the science comes first, and it's pretty solid evidence. Opinions change, but the facts remain.

W~

• James Brown
    James Brown

Don't be dishonest. Are you saying that there were no people before the written record? Take care, Ismael

I am not saying that at all. I have only said what i wrote here on this subject.

I am currently reading these history books, so I posted what I got from them.

If I were to take a totally biblical fundamentalist viewpoint, I would believe there were people

before history and the written record.

Adam and Eve would have been before history and the written record.

All I know is I am here today, I have to pay taxes and I am going to die.

I think I'm here and I think I pay taxes and I think I will die sooner or later.

• James Brown
    James Brown

JB: For those of you allergic to books and university.

One of the most absurd statements ever. Persons like cofty and bohm are very well read...just consider their posts.

Really what you are saying JB, is that you are intolerant to views that differ from your prejudices. Your only recourse to protect your pride is to insult the intelligence of those who see things differently based upon their own research and education. You've closed the book on your learning.

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn" - George Santayana

Shirley, I have no view or prejudice.

I am a half full tea cup. I am a half dry sponge.

I am observing and commenting on what I see.

I wasnt refering to Cofty, and I wasnt refering to reading I was refering to books vs the internet.

I was trying to show that pre history is a popular common term/ descriition of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit