Link in thread, may have malware attached.

by talesin 11 Replies latest forum tech-support

• talesin
    talesin

Hi! Someone messaged me about this thread, please check it out. I see that someone reported the problem on the thread, but most likely did not alert you.

THanks!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/279364/1/Theocratic-Ministry-School-Review-Answer-Sheet-of-June-PDF#.U17-fvldUac

tal

• talesin
    talesin

PS. To mods/admin.

This is the second malware attack I've spotted/been alerted to this week. Perhaps we are under attack, albeit by one malicious person. Just a thought. I know the IPs are visible to all, so you can check.

New people, don't be alarmed! They can't track you. xoxo

With thanks,

t

• Simon
    Simon

Slightly less dramatic / paranoid interpretation:

Someone chose to share a file using a slightly dodgy service.

As always, it's up to people to decide if they want to download a file or not, whether to visit a site at all and what browser and malware protection to use.

If someone repeatedly posts links to sites that contain malware then they will be blocked.

• talesin
    talesin

Simon, I am not extremely literate, so best safe than sorry, and thanks.

And yeah, it's good to keep track. We've been attacked befofre, who knows?

:)

t

• talesin
    talesin

You know, well, if a moderator knows that clicking on a link may cause an instant download, on a site like this with so many innocents, should then not take that thread down?

Whatever. I'm kinda disappointed with your less-than-protective response, for the new and lurking members. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking.

Thank for everyhthing, as always.

tal

• SyntaxError1974
    SyntaxError1974

Most of these files are PDF. You can view them with an Ios device and be relatively safe.

• SyntaxError1974
    SyntaxError1974

Hmmm... That came out odd.

• talesin
    talesin

Most of these files are PDF. You can view them with an Ios device and be relatively safe.

Well, I am not an innocent, but what? :P I should know something "I", Operating System, but see what i mean? If you've got online for the first time, well ........

My browser is set to prompt for a 'save' location before downloading anything, so that is one safeguard. A lot of the people on board, though, are new to the net, and well, this is their place, right? Just saying, ....

It matters not, in the long run. np

Move along, nothing to see here. Oh, I forgot,,, we don't *do* SW anymore ....

later

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

If you read the site carefully before you click on the link you will not get any unwanted programs installed. When you use that poster's links, you have to watch the upper right hand corner of the page and wait for the 5 second please wait countdown then click on skip and then click on the "Click here to start download from sendspace" link in the light blue rectangular box. That is the ONLY download link you want to click, anything else gives you the things you don't want.

• baltar447
    baltar447

What sucks is there are usually SEVERAL "download" links on these services and only one is the legit one. Other ones willget you god knows what.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit